How to print cd labels - Canon PIXMA MG5350

Hi, I'm working for a wedding photographer in germany. I'm suppose to look for a way to print cd labels within a professional image manipulating and processing software. We are using photoshop, lightroom and in rare cases gimp. Most computers are imacs or macbooks with lion OS X 10.7.

Printing on CDs with Canons Utility Tool - "Easy-PhotoPrint EX" is possible. Unfortunately my boss is not satisfied because of its lack of functionality and usability for professional photo publishing purposes. Labels are now fully designed within the photo processing software. Any common image export file type is possible.

The ideal way would be to create an additional printer with presets for cd label printing (like color corrections) and define the cd tray as default source. My boss would only need to select this printer in order to print on a cd. I just could not manage to figure that out.

Another idea was to selecting the cd-tray as source each time before printing. Does not work. The printer pulls the normal A4 paper or, if cd tray is already inserted, it refuses to print.

Again printing with the Easy-PhotoPrint EX tool works fine on a CD.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm open minded to other ideas.

Hi, I'm working for a wedding photographer in germany. I'm suppose to look for a way to print cd labels within a professional image manipulating and processing software. We are using photoshop, lightroom and in rare cases gimp. Most computers are imacs or macbooks with lion OS X 10.7.

Printing on CDs with Canons Utility Tool - "Easy-PhotoPrint EX" is possible. Unfortunately my boss is not satisfied because of its lack of functionality and usability for professional photo publishing purposes. Labels are now fully designed within the photo processing software. Any common image export file type is possible.

The ideal way would be to create an additional printer with presets for cd label printing (like color corrections) and define the cd tray as default source. My boss would only need to select this printer in order to print on a cd. I just could not manage to figure that out.

Another idea was to selecting the cd-tray as source each time before printing. Does not work. The printer pulls the normal A4 paper or, if cd tray is already inserted, it refuses to print.

Again printing with the Easy-PhotoPrint EX tool works fine on a CD.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm open minded to other ideas.

what are the manufacturer of the CD labels??? they usually have templates and software designed specifically for those labels... if they are Memorex labels, you want to use a software called "Memorex label design studio (exPressIt)... if they are Avery labels, you want to use "Avery Design Pro"... both of these are free software and are compatible with ANY inkjet printer... I use both on my Canon PIXMA ip6000D...

Thanks for your idea. We usually have Verbatim CDs. But I guess it would be possible to change the supplier. Looking into these two software is definitely an option for my. :)
I'm gonna check them out.

There might be a misunderstanding though. I'm not aware that Avery sells printable CDs. When I mentioning the CD labels I was referring to printable CDs and not to adhesive tags which you may have in mind? But I know that Memorex has printable CDs for sure.

Is there any chance to print on the CD directly from Lightroom or Photoshop. I also thought about gimp because of its community and the amount of available plugins. I already found a plugin which lets you import templates. I'm also pretty confident that creating such a template in photoshop or gimp wouldn't be a big hassle.

Unfortunately I was not able to actually make the printer print on a CD from Photoshop nor gimp. Has anybody ever tried it? I would like to hear the settings you choose in the printing menu.

PS: I also contacted the canon support. There answer was a bit disappointing. First they told me that my printer doesn't support printing on CDs, using a third party software. After I asked which printer would do the job, their statement was that non of their printer work with third party software when it comes on printing on CDs. :( That is strange because I actually have read people doing it. Unfortunately I couldn't found a detailed instruction how they got there.

Last edited:

Ask a Question