HP Deskjet 4620 "Scan to Computer" issues.

I just bought an HP Deskjet 4620, mainly because of its wireless capabilities. Installed all the HP drivers (new ones from their site) on my main PC (Win 7 Ultimate x64) and 2 laptops (Win 7 Ultimate x86). The printer has an option called "Scan to Computer" where you can invoke a scan by using only the buttons on the printer (without being at a computer), however, on all the computers it:
A. Works only after I open the HP Printer Assistant on the computer I want to send the file to.
B. After a while a popup briefly flashes saying "Scan to Computer is currently unavailable", and I have to either close and open the Printer Assistant again or, if that doesn't work, go into the "Manage scan to computer" option in the Assistant and manually Disable and then Enable it (the Scan to Computer sometimes says that it's enabled and sometimes says that it's unavailable).

Unless I do these things the computer either doesn't show up on the printers' "Select Device" list at all, or after selecting it I get an error message telling me to check the connection.
Also, if, after doing the above, I try and scan 10+ pages (and save them as one PDF) after about 7 pages the popup flashes again and the scan is automatically canceled.

I've searched around the HP forums for a solution but all I found was customers cursing HP and employees asking them whether they've tried turning it off and on again (which I did BTW).

Please note that if any of the printer options are invoked from the PC they work flawlessly. I figured there's either something wrong with my connection, or that someone at HP f***ed up and the Scan to Computer program has a bug in it. Would appreciate any help, especially in the form of alternatives to HP's bloatware.
PS: Same results with windows firewall and avast turned off.
Same results if printer is restarted.

Try reinstalling the printer drivers. The scan to computer feature not working sounds like it is an issue with the software not correctly working with the computer.

Try reinstalling the printer drivers. The scan to computer feature not working sounds like it is an issue with the software not correctly working with the computer.

Did that with both the original installer that came on the CD and the updated one from the HP website. Problem persists.

Try the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows

You can always try the "HP Print and Scan Doctor". I'm too new on this forum I guess, so I can't provide a link. Please do a Google Search and it should be the first two items that show up, a documentation page with a video and the video itself.

"Try the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows"

Good luck,

Micheal

Ask a Question