HP Envy 7640 downloading new installation software

HP Support Assistant has notified me of a message: “Important Action Needed.” The message says that I need to download and install software version 40.2.1073.65539 which will provide “Everything need to install and use my printer.” I already installed my HP Envy 7640 (approximately 8/1/2016) it and am using it. How do I determine what version of the software I am using now, and whether/why I need some other version of software to install and use the printer I already installed and am using? I am skeptical of the need, because every other message I have received encouraged me to install or buy something unnecessary. Thanks.

You don't need to install the new one. It is unnecessary and I think they are just blocking the unofficial ink cartridge or refilled cartridges. Once you upgrade the firmware, they just push it back and forward. I think if your printer is working fine, then why not ignore the message the software warns you.

Ask a Question