IB-21E LAN printserver card in FS-1030D not responding normally

ADSL-internet gateway with 4 LAN sockets (IPTV, laptop, switch, printer)

FS-1030D with IB-21E LAN printserver via LAN cable connected to 1 of the 4 LAN sockets on my internet gateway. Static IP.

My desktop via cable via switch to internet gateway, Win 7, static IP, I can print from my desktop, sometimes it seems to take longer than earlier until the printer starts to work (?).

Laptop of my wife with Win 8.1 directly connected to another socket on the gateway. My wife's laptop could also print but stopped doing so some time ago. Several deletions of Kyocera drivers with Kyocera deleter software and manually removing stuff from the registry, reinstallation would not help. During installation of printer Windows sometimes sees my network printer and sometimes not. Even after apparently successful installation of the printer I could not get a testpage printed.

Pinging from desktop to the printserver gives peculiar results. Once 0/4 packet, once 2/2 packets, once 3/1 packets, once 4/4 packets. When pinging several times it seems to wake up and responds with 4/4 packets. After a while again dropping of packets. Still printing is possible.

Pinging from laptop the same. Printing not possible.

Both computers have Bitdefender antivirus software installed. Deactivating it does not help.
LEDs on printserver card indicates connection (green permanent) and data transfer (red blinking).
Connection to webinterface of printserver with browser possible on both laptop and desktop despite not pinging normally.

What I have tried without success
LAN-cable between printer and gateway replaced with a brand new one out of the closed plastic bag
Hard reset of printserver card with jumpers on it
Soft reset to factory values via webinterface of printserver
I changed the LAN cables' position on the 4 sockets of the internet gateway.
I treated the contacts of the printserver card with contact cleaner and reinserted it several times to clean the contacts.

What I still can try ist to take the same card out of my printer in my condo and switch them.

So I am quite desperate to get my wife's laptop access to the printer. Any suggestion for a solution?

I connected all partners - laptop, desktop, printer - to the switch behind the gateway and now pinging between computers and printer works ok. Printing from desktop to network-printer works, printing from laptop not. When installing the printer on the laptop, the laptop sees the printserver now, but still when finishing installation, the testpage is not printed and Windows announces printer failure, whatever that is.

When reconnecting everything as before (printer and laptop straight to gateway, desktop via switch) I noticed that from desktop pinging a website in the internet gives always reliable full response 4/4, pinging to the printer within the home network again variable results. :(??????

When pinging continuously with ping x.x.x.x -t at start twice announcement of exceeding response time, then correct answers for a while, then again exceeding response time on, twice or thrice, then again a lot of correct responses. Simultaneously pinging website in the internet gives correct responses all the time. Hardware glitch in printserver card?

I was already thinking, that the gateway is the problem, but this does not seem to be so because only pinging had improved. I have a backup gateway I might try...

Last edited:
I tried with the backup gateway (I have it in case the main gateway breaks down during a weekend). Internet connection works, but printer problems the same as before.

Closer to a solution. Now in my condo with another IB-21E printserver card in an FS-1020. Everything works here, printing from local desktop and laptop and pinging ok. I see that the problem card has firmware 1.4.0 beta2 installed, the "working" one has 1.4.0. I installed latest firmware 1.4.1 and both cards work here just fine. So the next test will be to take the updated card back home and test there. For those wondering how to install firmware to the IB-21E, which is not described in any manual: download for windows http://cdn.kyostatics.net/dlc/de/ut...le-File.downloadcenteritem.tmp/ib21e_v141.zip , unzip, go to http://printer-ip-address/upload (in my case http://10.0.0.5/upload) then you are asked to supply the file etc. Worked fine for both cards. So maybe the problem was the beta firmware? Will see when going back.

Ask a Question