Hello -

The Oki C332dn color printer has these printer language emulations :

PCL
XPS
IBM PPR III XL
EPSON FX
PS3 EMULATION

My questions are :

1 - Is language emulation in a driver on the computer host, or is it native on the printer? I *think* it's on the printer, but I don't have definitive proof.

2 - Can I print to the USB port in "raw" mode? I am assuming it would just be another "COM#" port. I would be printing manually or from a batch file in a DOS cmd shell.

I ask because I have legacy applications running on Windows XP 32-bit that (are NOT on the internet but) are printing straight to the printer over (HW Legacy!) parallel port LPT1. In a perfect world I would just replace this :

type c:\temp\myprint > LPT1:

With this :

type c:\temp\myprint > COM1:

If the above "just worked", then the legacy workflow could stay the same. In the above, NO PRINTER DRIVER would be involved in converting the data into another format. This would be a RAW print. The OKI C332dn doesn't support Windows XP 32-bit anyway, so I don't think it matters (fingers crossed).

Thank You,

cfg83

Ask a Question