Ip5200 print head ?

Having some troubles with my pixma ip5200. It was in storage for nearly two years (with aftermarket catridges attached). I took it out the other day and went to switch it on and installed brand new cartridges but the printer is giving me an alarm code 5 fault which translates to either no print head attached, print head overheat problem or eeprom error. Im suspecting it's the first one due to the fact that I had it in storage for a long time with ink cartridges attached. I tried unclogging the heads with hot water and windex but still have the same problem.
I don't know if this is related to another problem im having where the printer is totally unresponsive in windows 7. Even when I try to get printer status, I get the 'printer not responding' message.
Considering a new print head but don't wanna spend $130 for nothing, im hoping this purchase will resolve the problem. Reluctant to buy a new printer because Ive heard that printers these days go through much more ink due to more head clean cycles, also heard that the newer pixma cartidges contain less ink.
Thoughts or suggestions ??

Cool, how do i do a partial reset ? is it when you hold down cancel/resume and power up and then press cancel resume in sequence while holding power ?? I've tried everything, still get the 5 flashes regardless. But is the partial reset a different procedure ?
Cheers

Ask a Question