Looking for an Epson Stylus Photo 2100 Expert

Hello all.
Firstly thanks for providing a great forum for me to attend.

I would like to resolve an issue with an Epson Stylus Photo 2100 printer that I purchased to possibly build into a DTF or DTG printer.

It was a bit of a gamble, nothing serious at £25, and I figured if nothing comes of it, I have two lovely hardened steel slide rails for a laser cutter build I have lined up.

But I have since received the printer and it is in lovely condition, and I feel a little bad for destroying it just for rails.

The story is that the owner tried to replace the waste ink pads and since then it would not feed paper, He said he took it apart again but couldn't figure out what was wrong, but mentioned he had to 'take it completely apart' to replace the ink pads, which I have found isn't strictly true.

I powered up the printer and it gave me all red flashing lights, so off I set to disassemble..
I found the optical sensor for the page feed roller was hanging off at the side of the chassis, so reattached that and powered up, it initialised and sat ready.. Bargain right! No.. We know how this goes, too good to be true was the case..

I tried to print, the head moved about a bit and there was a lot of aligning and clunking, eventually arriving at the anticlimax of it not feeding the sheet of paper, moving the head around a few times (not printing) and then it stops, with no flashing lights, just a solid green power light.

At the moment I am on a mac, so my drivers don't give me any information, I am thinking about fixing that shortly with a windows XP VM or machine to get some original drivers and hopefully get some error codes, as I see from the manual there are hex codes and I assume they will be posted to the driver error reporting and fed back to the user that way, but I just don't know at this point.

I dug deeper, there was ink everywhere, so I removed the sensor that detects the page edge (PE Sensor I believe), this one has the lever poking up which lifts as the paper is fed from the ASF into the main bed of the printer. It was full of ink, I removed it and cleaned it and put it back, it seems to detect paper as it will draw a sheet in if I slide one in from the back and touch it for 2 seconds, which I think is the default behaviour.

When the paper tries to feed from the ASF it doesn't happen. The ASF all seems to be 'in phase'. I also notice that when initialising, the ASF mechanism will spin and then stop dead as the detector wheel opens and allows the beam to hit the phototransistor, so I presume that is also operating fine.
But it just seems to do its thing, but not pick anything up, and eventually I hear a slight slipping/grinding noise at the end of the cycle and it all stops.

I can play around and get it to pick up and feed the paper through sometimes, I am not sure how I do this, but whatever happens, it doesn't seem to set the paper up in place, or draw it in when it should, either or printing a job or if I press the paper feed button.

I don't really know where to go from here, but the guy I got it from obviously hit it with a spanner a few times and then said its the printers fault, and I feel a bit clueless now how to proceed.

I cleaned the PW sensor (page width sensor?) on the underside of the head as best as I could with a cotton swab and some isopropyl without going into removing the carriage and I can catch some reflections from the lenses on the diode and collector, so I think it is clean enough to at least do its job, but I do wonder if the ink could be affecting the circuitry.

So far, I haven't been able to print by loading paper via the ASF or via loading into the back.
At best, I can cause the sheet to be ejected out the front via both methods but no printing will occur and no panel errors leaves me a little lost.

Is there anybody on here who has good experience with these models, or perhaps the 2200 which is very similar, and does anybody know how I can run some diagnostic software and get some good insight into the state of the controls?

Thank you in advance for any help or insight you can offer. I have a service manual for reference.

Jay

Ask a Question