My network printer is not recognized

Hello,

I would like to use my brother HL-2270DW in a wired network. More precisely the printer is connected to a netgear switch which is connected to the router box using a wired domestic network. I have set static IPs in the router for my 2 printers.

This scheme works quite well with a Canon printer but with the Brother printer it does not work at all.

First the connexion does not seem to be effective. There are no green lights at both ends af the cable as it is the case with all other apparatus plugged in the switch.

Second, when I install the brother printer the installer does not find the printer when searching for printers in the network.

Third when I manually set the printer by IP it installs it but afterwards the printer is not known by the system. A test page is not printed, and the printer is not "ready" in applications such as Word.

I have installed the printer using wifi and it works but I do not understand why it cannot be used in the wired mode.

:) gabier

Hummm, not sure. Try this. Change the CAT5 Lan cable to a new one. Then try plugging the LAN cable directly into the router and check. Verify you really do have a static IP set. The printer IP address must be OUTSIDE the DHCP addresses of the router.

Hummm, not sure. Try this. Change the CAT5 Lan cable to a new one. Then try plugging the LAN cable directly into the router and check. Verify you really do have a static IP set. The printer IP address must be OUTSIDE the DHCP addresses of the router.
@ Sabretooth,

Thank you for the answer.

I have changed the cable twice without any success.

The fixed Ip is in the list of the fixed IPs in the router. I recognize clearly the Brother printer by its MAC address. The DHCP IPs are set in the range 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.50. The fixed Ip of the brother is 192.168.1.105.

I have not yet tried to to plug the printer directly into the router. This is not very easy because the router is downstairs in the switchboard, and the printer is upstairs. Moreover AFAIK I have to uninstall the brother in wifi mode and reinstall it in the cable mode. Knowing that I have also a Canon inkjet printer which works perfectly in the cable mode just beside the brother printer, I am not willing to run this test unless you really think it can solve the problem.

@ Sabretooth,

This is not very easy because the router is downstairs in the switchboard, and the printer is upstairs.

Switchboard? Please explain. Still think for trouble shooting just being the printer to the router and plug it in.

Ask a Question