Printer heads

Right now I have a Lexmark S605 multifunction inkjet that is working fine. But like most of my other printers, it will start doing the same thing. I print sporadically, meaning that I will use the printer regularly for a few days, then the printer will set for a few weeks not being used ( 2 or 3 weeks ). This usually results in clogged print heads. On the HP printers I had, this usually resulted in wasted ink if you could not get the print head cleaned. I switched to a cannon with a separate print head from the ink cartridges. That one lasted me longer and I could replace the print head when I couldn't get it clean again. Then the print head was no longer available, so I bought this one I have now.

When the Lexmark is finally un-usable (replacement print heads no longer available), Would a laser printer fare any better? Their prices are getting reasonable now. I don't do photography. The amount of pictures I would want printed, it is more economical for me to take my memory card into a store and use those machines.

So, do the lasers print at the same quality throughout the life of the drum regardless of how frequent or infrequently they are used?

Laser printer have toners and nothing to clog. The quality factors depend on the brand of the laser printer that you have purchase.

Laser printers utelise powder toner, which will not dry out and clog like inkjet printers, however usually people opt for the laser route when they regularly print large volumes as its generally considered less economical for small volume printing, due to toner costs and initial purchase price of laser printers. However I guess if you are constantly having to replace your inkjet printers I can see why you would want to conisder the laser printer option.
Most toners will have huge page yeilds compared with an inkjet, maybe 2000 pages plus and its worth considering that toners will not last forever...... so you may want to weigh up all the pro's and con's before deciding either way...

Ask a Question