Printing disappears from queue and nothing prints

I have a Brother MFC-J265w. Suddenly today, I can't print. It shows online. Then, when I try to print, the printer flashes and the queue shows the document briefly and then it disappears. I can print directly from the printer to test. But even test print from devices and printers doesn't print.

I've tried the following:

1. Uninstalled the printer, re-downloaded the driver, etc., and reinstalled.
2. Unplugged printer
3. Restarted printer and computer
4. Tried different USB port
5. Put in new inkjet cartridges as two were low.
6. Finally set the printer as wireless, but still nothing prints.
7. Tried troubleshooting through devices and printers and it says there is no problem.

I have no clue what else to try. Using Windows 10, but again, no problems until today.

Thanks for your help.

Susan

Same problem...just started after running right for years. Have done all of what you have done plus much more. No help. Win10 Update problem????

Just talked with Brother. They said Win 10 KB4560960 is most likely the problem. It was auto installed on my machine 6/11. Will try to revert and see what happens.

I fixed the problem! All I did was:

1. Run Command Prompt as Administrator
2. Type sfc /scannow
3. Enter

To run as administrator in Win 10, when you search for command prompt and you see it in the list of apps, right click on it and select "Run as Administrator." And make sure you have a space between sfc and /scannow.

After running it, the message said, "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them." I've uploaded this screenshot.

scanresult.jpg

Last edited:
I just got my parents' Brother MFC-J265W working by uninstalling the KB4560960 update on their Windows 10 laptop. Thanks everyone for posting this helpful information!

Brother told me to uninstall the KB and then pause updates for 7 days...to give them time to fix it. From what you're saying I think I can resume updates.

I have this problem. Yesterday Windows did an update but it hasn't fixed the problem. Will wait on the next update I guess. (I couldn't do a System Restore to a date before the problem began due to Windows deleting restore points older than ten days. Can I order it to store them longer?)

If you are up to date with Win10 you can selectively uninstall updates. Go to Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update, View Update History, Uninstall Updates, then select your update and uninstall it.

That is enlightening. Should I just uninstall the one or two I think came immediately before the problem appeared or all the updates from that point forward? (Five in all. four of which were all on 11th June. One of these is a security update for Adobe Flash Player, the rest for Windows)

I've tried to uninstall just one. The instructions read "To uninstall it from the list, select it from the list and then click Uninstall or Change." There is an "Organise" link at the top of the list and I feel there should also be an "Uninstall or Change" link as well but if so it is missing.

Last edited:
KB4560960 was installed on 11th June with three other Win updates. Re the Uninstall link, I've just found Windows updates, whether security or program, I can't delete any more recent than 14th May. I can't see anyway around this. Is there?

Last edited:

Ask a Question