Printing from a laptop to a desktop that has the printer

OK I've been all over the internet and tried just about everything they said to do. My printer is hooked up to my desktop and I have wireless internet. I want to send things from my laptop to the desktop to print. The printer is a HP 2610v but only comes with a USB connection or ethernet (it's not wireless). I can see my printer on both computers. Both computers have WiFi and both are connected to my wireless internet. The only way I can get an IP address is if I hook up an ethernet cable and then it will issue that IP address on the print out (I don't use or have ethernet). Yes I have shared the printers, Yes I have set the printer on both computers as default printer. In todays technology it shouldn't be that hard to tell a laptop to tell a desktop "Here print this for me". If you have kids then you'll know why I'm asking this. It gets old having to set it in a general location so that everyone can come around, plug their USB in to print something.
I'm not a wireless or internet person so please be simple with your answers.
Thanks
My next thought was a ad-hoc

Last edited:

Ask a Question