Question on color ink rapid usage in grayscale preference setting

I use a Canon MG 6821 injet all in one printer and believed I was conserving the color inks by printing only in the business letter preference setting with grayscale, duplex selected. However, my color inks are consumed very rapidly especially the magenta? Wondering why this is happening - am I incorrect that colors are not used when grayscale print is selected? Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated.

Frank

I now understand that color inks are used in the grayscale mode. On my MG 6821 all in one printer I can find no way in preferences or settings to print in black and white only; grayscale is the only option apparently for this printer. Wondering if anyone has a work around for black and white?
Frank

With my MX922 I have the option to print in grey scale but by default it is not checked. However I've always thought it too seems to use a lot of CYMK ink considering 95% of its use is to only print b&w text documents. Considering how it's used I would think the larger second black ink tank would be dedicated for black text while the smaller one for printing grey shades but that doesn't seem how it works. To me the ink consumption makes no sense but there's no way to change it.

Thanks for your responses glr54 - some Canon inkjets printers do have a black&white setting but most apparently lack that option and one must resort to grayscale which by design blends color inks with black as your web link describes. My next printer will definitely have the b&w option - it is ridiculous to spend money on color ink carts if one prints documents in b&w.

With my MX922 I have the option to print in grey scale but by default it is not checked. However I've always thought it too seems to use a lot of CYMK ink considering 95% of its use is to only print b&w text documents. Considering how it's used I would think the larger second black ink tank would be dedicated for black text while the smaller one for printing grey shades but that doesn't seem how it works. To me the ink consumption makes no sense but there's no way to change it.

Just for information to others wondering, I'm going to reply to my own comment as I just came across an article that explains how the two black ink tanks work on the 922. I suspect other Canon models are the same.

Why there are two black ink cartridges.

Ask a Question