Reset Epson XP-640 to factory default

Recently I made the mistake of accepting a firmware update from Epson for my XP-640 and it really screwed up my printer which I was otherwise quite happy with. When the update was completed the display said that three of the five non-OEM cartridges were not recognized and would not allow me to proceed until I replaced them with Epson cartridges. Ironically it did recognize two remanufactured cartridges (one LD and another ValueToner) as certified Epson.

Is it possible to reset my printer to the factory default settings somehow so that I can continue to use remanufactured cartridges as before or is there some other workaround?

Last edited:
It is not possible. Firmware is part of your Epson printer with no restore software available.
Many manufacturers currently preclude utilization non-OEM cartridges with their firmware updates.

Recently I made the mistake of accepting a firmware update from Epson for my XP-640 and it really screwed up my printer which I was otherwise quite happy with. When the update was completed the display said that three of the five non-OEM cartridges were not recognized and would not allow me to proceed until I replaced them with Epson cartridges. Ironically it did recognize two remanufactured cartridges (one LD and another ValueToner) as certified Epson.

Is it possible to reset my printer to the factory default settings somehow so that I can continue to use remanufactured cartridges as before or is there some other workaround?
yes download wic reset it will cost you about 20.00 for a one time key but it worked on my epson printer.

Right you are, Ruffin. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software to no avail. In the end I broke down and bought some OEM carts.

Hey Ollis,

That is a helpful suggestion alright. This gives me some hope for the next time I face this issue. As I already mentioned I just bought some OEM carts so I'm full up at the moment. However, I bookmarked the WIC reset page and will give it a whirl the next time around. Thanks so much.

• If you have a problem with settings on the product control panel, you can reset them to their factory defaults. You can choose which settings to reset or reset them all.
    1. Press the
      home_icon.jpg
      home button, if necessary.
    2. Press the arrow buttons to select Settings and press the OK button.
    3. Select Restore Default Settings and press the OK button.
    4. Select one of these options:
    • Network Settings: Resets all network settings.All except Network Settings: Resets all control panel settings, except for network settings.
    • All Settings: Resets all control panel settings.
    • You see a confirmation screen.
    • Select Yes to reset the selected settings. (Select No if you want to cancel the operation.)

Ask a Question