Stylus 1400 Paper Feed Problem

Howdy folks,

I've not been on here much recently - you know how it is when things are going good :)

A few days ago my 1400 stopped taking card I was using to print some order of service for a funeral. I managed to finish the print job using another printer but now the 1400 won't take anything - 90gsm copier paper through 260gsm card :(

I ran a cleaner sheet through and was mildly surprised to see not very much muck on it but afterwards I managed to get it to take paper again - one sheet!

It feel like there's a physical blockage so I had a closer look at the paper feed mechanism. On the right hand side (as you look standing at the front facing the printer) there is a large rubber covered roller and below that a much smaller rubber covered on. Now, if my thinking is correct the larger of the two is driven by the paper feed motor to take hold of the upper surface of the paper and the lower on is sprung loaded to support the lower face of the paper but should be free to rotate (but not driven). I think my problem is that the smaller, lower roller isn't rotating - in fact I can't turn it at all :(

Does anyone know if I'm right about how this should work and maybe how to free off the lower roller without dismembering the printer?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Regards
Steve

Lower roller must rotate. Try a little WD-40 on each side of roller. Try not to get it on rubber. (probably impossible). Then clean rubber roller with degreaser cleaner. Not alcohol as will harden the rubber.
Perhaps you can get the roller moving with just finger pressure and not utilize the WD
Good luck with it

Hi ruffin,

Thanks for that. I found a YouTube clip that shows there is a spring inside the roller that may have snapped and jammed it. In the video the guy simply remakes the end and puts it all back together and it works.

It's not the easiest bit of the printer to get to though - you don't want to see my desk at the moment :)

Regards
Steve

What a job that was! To get (what turns out to be) the retardation roller out you have to pretty much dismantle the complete printer. I nearly decided to go buy a new one instead! Luckily I found a copy of the service manual on-line and managed to follow the instruction in there ... still got one self-tapping screw left over though :(

The spring wasn't broken but there was so much crud on it and the spindle that they were effectively welded together. The spindle was so dirty I thought it was made from graphite at first; it was only when I used some emery cloth on it that I could see it was steel.

So, a good internal clean up, re-assembly and roller clean (using cleaning paper) later the printer is now back in working condition. Just in time for some A3+ prints I need for a customer on Tuesday.

Happy days :)

Steve

Glad u got it working. Too bad we dont have photos of your fix and a step by step for the next guy.
You persevered and won the battle. Thank you for the feedback.
Best Regards
Florida, USA
90 Deg F today!

Well ruffin, you know what they say about not crowing too soon ... the roller jammed up again today.

I decided to get a replacement roller so spent an hour searching t'Internet for a supplier in the UK with absolutely no success. Several so-called official Epson spare parts suppliers have them advertised but none actually have them in stock - that really gets my goat. To top it all they want between £20 and £30 plus 20% tax plus £9.50 delivery :(

Finally called a coupe of places in the USA and found one willing to ship to the UK for less than the cost of a new wall along the Mexico border :) For less than $20 including postage I get the retard roller plus a new rubber for the take-up roller too - result!

Your weather is better than ours that's for sure :)

End of rant

Steve

Steve:
What a battle! Im sorry you have to go through all that. Yes, printer parts are a real problem, even here.
Glad you met with success though.

I have an Artisan 730, which I love. Ive even toyed with the idea of
buying second off EBAY, for parts, even if its not working. I keep my printer completely covered, when not in use,
never use compatible ink, and always protect it with surge protector. It is several years old now and still works
a treat.

Let us know how you make out with the new roller. Would imagine part will take several weeks in transit.
At least you found it. Good luck with the repair.

Bobby

Ask a Question