TS8050 'ink drying wait time' setting not working

I'm experiencing a very frustrating issue while printing in duplex (double sided) mode. The ink drying wait time is about 13 seconds, whatever the setting of it (short , default or long). That setting is simply not working. !! With this 13 sec wait time , duplex printing is unacceptably slow especially if you want to print multi page documents.
I use the latest MD driver (V1.02) and firmware (1.160)

(I have an older IP4950, these times are 3.5sec for the short and about 60 sec for the long setting)

I have reported this problem to the Dutch Canon support but the don't seem to know what to recommend. (all kind of advice that has nothing to do with the problem ..)

My questions:
- Is there anyone else experiencing this for a TSxxxx printer?
- Can someone with such a printer check if this 'ink drying wait time' setting actually works?

Thanks Jan

Hi WGmaker,

Have you checked the type of paper selected in "Media Type:" (Printer Properties > Main). That delay is a default setting for photographic and, I think, any glossy type paper. If set to Plain paper there should only be a short delay from one side to the next.
If that is not the issue, then I'm not sure. However I did find the UK Canon support team very helpful when I was trying to get the printer to connect wirelessly with my laptop so you might try them.

Hello Kiredoryor,

thanks for your response. I checked you suggestion but (as I already remembered from earlier attempts) duplex printing can only be used for plain paper (and some Higaki 100*148mm papers)

The problem is that that setting simply doesn't work in my TS8050. (It works fine in a IP4950 I still have and the procedure is identical)

As I mentioned I have contacted Canon technical support in Holland and although indeed very responsive, they come up with all kind of suggestions that have nothing to do with the problem and thus don't work. I will try again with the UK support ..

There are several reasons why I have the impression that it might be a general problem (not my only specific TS8050), maybe the driver or the firmware. For that reason I am trying to find another owner of a TS8050 or one of the other printers from the TS range who is willing to perform a simple test.

The test goes as follows:
1. Create a document of 4 blank pages (e.g. in word or similar)
2. set printer properties :
tab main: plain paper ,
tab Page Setup: duplex automatic
tab Maintenance: Custom Settings, Ink Drying Wait Time : Short
3. Print and measure the elapse time (eg with the stopwatch function of the 'Alarms & Clock app in W10 or similar)
(even better , measure the time the printer waits before retracting the page to print the back side, but the overall elapse time is also a good indication)
4. change Ink Drying Wait Time to : Long and repeat step 3.

I get about 55 seconds elapse and 13 seconds for the drying wait time. No matter if set to short or long.

(If I do that same test with the IP4950, the elapse is 30 with 4 seconds wait time for short and 130 with 60 second wait time for long)

I hope you are willing to do me the favour to run this test ..

regards Jan

With 'Short' setting I found that 2 pages set on duplex (4 sides) took 54 seconds start to finish with a 13 second dry time between front and back. With 'Long' setting it took 74 and 15 seconds respectively. At the default (middle) setting it took exactly the same time as 'Short'

Thank you very much!! The differences should be lot more, it actually shows that the setting doesn't work properly for you as well!! Especially for short it should be 3-4 seconds for the drying wait time.
I will contact support again tomorrow with this info, I expect them to do the test themselves and come with some kind of fix. Probably a driver update.

OK, will be intrested to hear what they have to say.
I called on 0800 9150009 but their international number is +44 207 660 0186 and email (e-mail address removed)

I decided to see first what the Dutch Canon support would finally comes up with.The case was apparently moved up to a more capable person and after a few more Q&A's they confirmed that there was no problem with the way I tried to change the setting and that the printer cannot be set to a shorter ink drying wait time as it is now.
They are now thinking what to do about it or compensate me in some way …. warranty issue?
It might help if you report the issue to the UK support ..

Further tests show that the setting is not completely inoperative. However it only works to increase the delay wrt to default value. And the test must be done with a document containing some text. As can be seen from the results below, the TS printer is very slow in duplex, the retract time cannot be set below 14 seconds. Any setting to get it faster that default are useless. In comparison the same test with my old IP4950.
Canon support Europe, Netherlands told me they will pass this information to the printer development.

Ink drying times.jpg

Ask a Question