What might causing fuser to overheat? - Brother HL 3140CW

Used printer after long period of non-use. Printer fan was very loud - took around 8 minutes to completely shut off fan after one print. But was working.

I investigated by removing fuser to take a look. The two thermistors were not removed. The thermostat was inspected and touched, but it not forcefully enough to obviously damage it. When fuser was re-installed, fuser error was listed, and then whenever its reset the fuser lamp will light up for a second and then it shuts off and reads fuser error. There's a fair amount of heat getting in there as it can be felt. I suspect the thermistors are detecting too much heat incorrectly, or that something is actually overheating - what is most likely to be faulty that would cause overheating?

It makes sense that i damaged something when removing the fuser. But since the thermistors in the fuser weren't touched, i suppose the obvious culprit the thermo fuse/thermostat? If anyone could give any advice on what typically fails on a laser fuser i'd appreciate it.

Ask a Question