Why do Epson rip off their customer?

A set of genuine Epson Stylus cartridges cost about £35 and take four days to arrive; a set of non-standard cartridges cost under a tenner and arrive in a day. But Epson have software that stops non-standard cartridges from working so you're stuck with their obscenely over-priced cartridges, which you have to remember to order a week before you thinks you might need them.

Is there an answer to this blatant rip-off?

A set of genuine Epson Stylus cartridges cost about £35 and take four days to arrive; a set of non-standard cartridges cost under a tenner and arrive in a day. But Epson have software that stops non-standard cartridges from working so you're stuck with their obscenely over-priced cartridges, which you have to remember to order a week before you thinks you might need them.

Is there an answer to this blatant rip-off?

I don't know if this helps, but I have had an Epson R220 for years, and was able to use inexpensive non Epson compatibles and although a message flagged up saying 'these are not genuine inks' - I was able to continue printing. Compatibles for the R220 are now as 'cheap as chips',
I have recently bought one of the latest Epson wireless printers, and have replaced a black cartridge with a compatible with no problems.
Cheers - Bob

Most original Epson cartridges can be ordered on-line and will arrive the next day, free delivery, and cheaper than buying from Epson. Eg Cartridgesave.co.uk ...compatibles too I think...although I have never used them.

Just be thankfull you don't have a Lexmark. Got rid of mine when i realised that a set of genuine cartridges cost more than the purchaise price of the printer !

Bottom Line is that the printer you buy for £45 or there about Epson (and all other Ink-Jet Printer Manufacturers) don't make any money on. They cannot do R&D, get materials, make it, ship it 8,000 miles from China, give the distributor, and the retailer some profit, then 20% in VAT and make anything. So they make all their money selling shockingly over-priced ink cartridges, and will go to any lengths to stop you using after-market ink.

If you want cheap cost per print, you have to spend a lot on the printer to start with.

Epson needs a class action law suit for there ink cartridges. i put a black ink cartridge 220 in my printer and it only printed 3 pages then said it needs replaced. If i could get enough people to sign up i would charge them with defrauding their customers. I will never buy another Epson product they are thieves. Their CEO makes millions and we go broke.

Seems to be a common consumer problem - sell the unit cheap and make mass profit on the 'consumables'
Look at wet shaver's - the cost of dedicated blades compared to the original'kit'
And the new coffee machines with their dedicated 'pods'!
i dumped my old Lexmark printer when i realised that a set if cartridges were twice the original price paid for the printer.

Ask a Question