Brother MFC-J4510DW printer

Printer sometimes prints in very small type; also mostly in wrong orientation (sideways). Occasionally goes into "pause" mode for no reason but is OK after unplugging and restarting.

Size of type is function of printing application.
Try printing from WORD or WordPad or NotePad.
Dont understand "wrong orientation"??
Turn off your sleep mode or lengthen time before sleep.
See this link:
http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqe...prod=mfcj870dw_us_eu_as&faqid=faq00000110_026
It applies to your MFC4510DW model.
Also see your printed manual
EXPLANATION OF "Wrong Orientation." When I print an e-mail, it comes out in very fine print and is printed sideways on the paper. When printing from Word, everything is OK. I have reinstalled the software but this does not help.

Ok, your complaint is that printer always prints "Landscape" mode instead of "Portrait" mode normally referred to as paper "orientation".

How do you print your emails? What Browser do you use? Do you use an application like Thunderbird? If not, what application do you utilize? You say you reinstalled software, but you dont say what software?? What is your operating system (Windows 10)? Please answer all questions. What email provider do you use? Give us step by step how you are trying to print emails.

AS temporary fix, you can go to:
Control Panel -> Printers & Devices -> Right Click 4510DW Icon -> Select Printing Preferences
and you will see option to print either Portrait or Landscape. This becomes your new default.

Last edited:
PROBLEM SOLVED! I found that the printer page that came up with certain things had "postcard size" checked, which caused everything to be reduced so that it would fit on a space the size of a postcard. Not sure how that ever happened as I certainly did not change it intentionally for any reason. All is working properly now. Thanks for the suggestions and help from this forum.

Ask a Question