Brother MFC-J4625DW 'not detected' and 'reinstall slowly' on LC223 refillable magenta cartridge

Hi all! I'm at my wits end with trying to resolve an issue with the refillable magenta cartridge I'm using on my J4625DW printer. It had been working fine until fairly recently. On a couple of occasions it complained that it couldn't detect the magenta cartridge and to re-install it slowly. To clear that, I took it out, closed the panel, re-opened it and re-installed the cartridge. A minor annoyance, but one that was easily overcome. But in the past week, that method hasn't worked. I've tried various approaches suggested on forums and YouTube videos, including disconnecting power for a while, covering over the ink level window with black tape, removing all cartridges and re-installing them etc. Something that appeared to work was removing the ink so the printer complained about the cartridge being empty, removing the cartridge, re-filling it to ~90% capacity and confirming that the cartridge had been changed (as per my interpretation of the 'English' instructions provided for the auto-resetting cartridges, below). After that, I was able to print a couple of documents. However, I've tried to print something today and it's back to the same error message.

cpd2Y8f.jpg

There's no further manufacturer's documentation to be found (I suspect they're just white label cartridges).

Am I doing something wrong? Are the chips knackered in some way (and might I have done something to cause this issue)? Would a chip resetter resolve the issue?

I don't properly understand how the Brother cartridge-chip system works, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to properly troubleshoot the issue; any knowledgeable info and suggestions are gratefully received!

Probable recent firmware updates preclude use non OEM ink Cartridges. Many manufacturers have now moved in that direction to ensure only OEM cartridges used. Remove non-OEM cartridge -> wrap in Saran Wrap to keep from drying out -> Install OEM cartridge. Then you will know.

Ask a Question