Brother MFC-J480DW - software won't install

Everything has been working fine with my Brother MFC-J480DW installed on Windows 10 64-bit OS. All of a sudden Brother Utilities would not fully load so I could not scan receipts into my computer. I tried system restore. Re-starting, all the usual troubleshooting suggestions. I have installed and reinstalled the drivers and software many times. I decided to use the uninstall tool and start fresh. I went to the Brother website and downloaded the complete driver and software package. I was able to install the drivers and connect to my WiFi with no problem. it would not go further than that in setup. It stopped and disappeared before the software was installed. I tried using the original installation CD and I tried installing using the USB cable. Each time everything went fine until it was time to install the software. I do not know how to use this printer's scan features without the Brothers Utility Control Center 4. I have wracked my brain trying to figure this out. Does anyone have any knowledge re this particular problem? I would appreciate ANY and all advice and suggestions. Any insight would be great. I rely on my scanning to upload documents to my computer almost every day. Many times a day. I now am at a standstill. Please help! Thanks!

I have the same problem. Brother 'support' tried but have been unable to fix the problem Software installation stops before full installation.
I have Windows 10.
This is how I access the scanner now...
1. Search for 'Printers & Scanners'
2. Click on your printer (MFC-J480DW) then click on 'Manage'
3. Click the drop down menu on your printer name and select 'Scanner: Brother MFC J480DW' and then on 'Open Scanner'
4. Click on the icon showing a scanner at the bottom of the screen.
You should then be able to scan what you want.
Good luck!

Where did you find "printers and scanners"? I could only come up with "devices and printers". There was no "manage" option.

Bottom left of task bar has 'Type here to search'. I entered 'Printers and Scanners' there.
You should also be able to access by clicking on the Windows icon at extreme left of taskbar and scroll down to'Settings' then selecting 'Devices'.

Ask a Question