Canon IP4500 Output tray closed when its not.

Discussion in 'Canon' started by Canon, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Canon

Canon

Hi there. I stumbled across this problem where my Canon IP4500 printer wouldnt print anything at all, when i came to print something out it was telling me: "Printer output tray is closed please open tray and printing will resume".

This problem is caused by a broken piece of plastic which would normal press the micro-switch that is pressed when the output tray is open. To fix this follow my step by step guide.

Step 1: You will need 3 tools for this job, Small eletrical screwdriver, wire cutters and eletrical tape or solderer.
    Step 2: See picture 2, One the side where the power switch is located, using a small electrical screwdriver, carefully lift and slide the small plastic panel into the middle of the printer. Place to one side.
    Step 3: See picture 3, As your looking down onto the top of the printer, where circled in picture 3 press and push away from the printer and that part of the silver casing will slightly come away.
    Step 4: See picture 4, Turn printer upside down, where circled in picture 4 you need to lift the plastic casing with a small electrical screwdriver and push away from the printer again the silver casing will come away and you will be able to carefully take the whole of that silver side away.
    Step 5: See picture 5, This bit is a little tricky now. Where circled in picture 5 get your screwdriver again and under the little plastic lip just above the paper feed button lift and bring forward (two handed job really)to release the two pins. Be very carefull this point not to break anything. Once that front panel comes forward carefully wiggle and lift up, do not pull. Then it will come away.
    Step 6: See picture 6, Your now looking at the back of that panel. Towards the bottom of the circuit board you will see two yellow wires going to a switch, (this is the important bit, this will make the printer think that the output tray is always open, thus solving the problem) cut, yes cut, both wires, remove plastic covering/shething exposing the wire. Join the two wires together, you can do with by either just twisting them together and taping up with electrical tape or solder it up, your choice.
    Step 7: Yes the final step guys n gals, time to put your printer back together, do this step by step guide in reverse.

This 100% works on my printer and should work fine if you have the same problem.

Lemme know what you think of this guide.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Canon, Nov 5, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Canon

knockels

Worked for me too

Had this exact same problem with our iP4500 and this seems to have fixed it: I've never tried anything like this before but it was all easy to follow. Thanks!

knockels, Mar 25, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Canon

gordonwuk99

You are an absolute star! Thanks very much for posting this guide - saved us having to pay £70 to replace what Canon told us was a unrepairable printer!

gordonwuk99, Jul 18, 2010
  4. Canon

Jan

What an excellent guide. Fixed in no time. Thank you.

Jan, Aug 10, 2010
  5. Canon

hamed1364

Thanks a lot
    It worked for me.
    Photos help me the most.
    Thanks again MR "Canon".

hamed1364, Sep 13, 2010
  6. Canon

Big Troll

Thank you!

Your solution worked perfectly, and I just wanted to thank you for such an excellent set of directions with pictures. You, sir, rock.

Big Troll, Oct 8, 2010
  7. Canon

rangerguy

Worked great here too

Worked great here too. Thanks for posting!

rangerguy, Oct 11, 2010
  8. Canon

Curatio

I thought I would have to buy a new printer, but luckily I found this guide.

Great step-by-step instructions, with helpful pictures. I don't think I would have been able to figure it out myself.

Thanks for posting it!

Curatio, Oct 19, 2010
  9. Canon

matt

As the other posts say, this works perfectly.
    Thanks a lot as you've saved me a load of money buying a new printer.
    The pictures helped no end.
    Well done for being bothered to post this!

matt, Dec 16, 2010
  10. Canon

martop

Hi, Thank you so much for fix to this problem, I had the same problem due to door micro switch not being closed when the door was open, I was going to bypass the yellow wires but tested the swtich and it seems ok, its just not closing, my solution was to put a piece of cable sleeving over the arm of the switch, this makes the arm wider and so makes the switch close, for now it does. This switch is pretty cheap and flimsy so I intent to replace it with a decent one, problem is finding one small enough and modding it to work without changing the switch holder, I have a spare ip4500 that has the open door problem so I can experiment on that and post back here at a later date. This problem never happened with my ip 4300 so I guess Canon cheaped out on switches to save a few pennies.

martop, Dec 21, 2010
  11. Canon

weirford

Mike

Magic instructions - fixed my printer very quickly. Cat jumped on output tray and broke it - will feed cat again now it is fixed.

weirford, Dec 28, 2010
  12. Canon

13chas

Thanks

Must be a common problem. Had been looking for a new one. Thanks for saving my money. Very helpful post and pics although I would have thought your printer probs were caused by passive smoking jusdging by the ash. Only teasing - gave up 10 years ago but reminds me of my desk, car dashboard and backdoor step. :D

13chas, Feb 27, 2011
  13. Canon

spoonerism

thank you for taking the time to put this up. helped me enormously !

cheers.

spoonerism, May 3, 2011
  14. Canon

shubuck

Top notch. Simple and effective. Thank you

shubuck, Jun 18, 2011
  15. Canon

naf

Thanks so much...

Problem solved aswell...

Thanks

naf, Jul 7, 2011
  16. Canon

bealie

£70 saved, thankyou so much

bealie, Jul 25, 2011
  17. Canon

DubScott

Hi and tank you very much !!!

Yes, I still have an IP4500 and thanks to you, I can use it more time than expected :D
    Luckily I found this topic, thanks God. Awesome step-by-step guide ^^)
    Yes, you rock ;)

DubScott, Aug 16, 2011
  18. Canon

aoife

Thanks for explaining so clearly.

aoife, Aug 18, 2011
  19. Canon

jasongander1173

cheers mate brilliant instructions saved me from buying a new printer cheers

jasongander1173, Sep 13, 2011
  20. Canon

john83

Thanks for posting!

john83, Oct 15, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question