Canon MF741C: Scanning to E-Mail

I'm trying to configure a Canon MF741C to scan to e-mail, and the manual is singularly unhelpful. I found the place in the Remote UI where you're supposed to configure it. Now it says:

[SMTP Server]
Enter alphanumeric characters as the SMTP server name (or IP address) for sending e-mail and I-Faxes.

Which alphanumeric characters? Any old characters? What IP address? The printer IP that I used to connect to Remote UI?

[E-Mail Address]
Enter alphanumeric characters for the e-mail address that you want to use for the machine.

What does that mean? My regular e-mail address? One I make up especially for the printer? (Excuse me, "machine". The manual never calls it a printer, only a machine.) I tried using the info from my regular e-mail account, and it didn't work.

[POP Server]
Enter alphanumeric characters as the SMTP server name or IP address for sending e-mail and I-Faxes.

This one isn't a problem, as POP server is greyed out for me.

[User Name]
Enter alphanumeric characters as the user name for the specified e-mail account when a POP3 server is used.

This is fixed as the ID I set up for the Printer. So, no problem.

[Set/Change Password]
To set or change the password when a POP3 server is used, select the check box and enter alphanumeric characters in [Password].

Also fixed as the Pin# I set for the server.

Ask a Question