Canon Pixma MP610 Printhead

After carefully removing the printhead in order to carry out a clean, on reinserting I get a message saying 'printhead not installed'. After re-seating the head 3 or 4 times the message is still the same. There is no apparent damage to either the multiway conacts on the back of the head, or the wiper type contacts on the carriage. likewise the multiway cable feeding the carriage looks good. How does the carriage 'sense' the presence of the printhead? Is it through the multiway contacts, or is there a 'proximity type' sensor somewhere in the head? I am reluctant to spend around £70-80 on a new print head without being able to prove that the fault lies within the head!

Hi Gearcutter,

Although I have not had experience with the Canon Pixma MP610 in repairs, the majority of heads have the contacts. Potentially something is not lining up inside?

If you can't get it working, my suggestion would be to purchase a new printer. You can get printers very cheap these days as the manufacturers are trying to get their items out into the market. If somebody has one of their printers at home, it means you will need to buy their ink. My opinion is that you will get a brand new printer cheaper than paying for repairs or a new head.

See how you go.

Cheers,

INK HOUSE

Last edited:
Thanks for that, it's my opinion too - i can get a Canon Pixma MP5340 new here for about £88 on Amazon with the same spec, instead of £70-80 for a new printhead

regards

gearcutter

Ask a Question