Canon Pixman IP7220 Amber light

My 3 yr. old Canon Pixma IP7220, after a power failure at home, now has steady amber light(printer is frozen and will not print) and power button will not turn off. Canon quick fix was unplug printer from wall and wait several minutes. I tried several times and various time lengths with no luck.

Not much help in a web search, any help would be appreciated.

Bill W.
N. Syracuse, NY

Brill: Was printer protected with surge protected outlet?
Are you able to select menu items at printer control panel? Maybe thats frozen as well.
Doubt printer has fuse, but check for such on back panel.
Leave printer unplugged overnight.
Try different power outlet, that you know is working correctly.
If no surge protector, printer may be damaged
Let us know
Regards

Thank you ruffin. I tried all things you suggested. No luck. Once the power button is turned on, I can't turn it off until I unplug and plug back. A surge protector wasn't used but I have had power failures in the past and all devices restarted just fine.

I'm hesitant to contact Canon as it way out of warranty and might want to charge for service and nothing can be done.

I am very happy with this printer and would like to buy another one, same model, it works spectacularly for me at an affordable price for a home user. Maybe I should get into habit of turning it off when not in use. It has an auto power off feature and I didn't set it correctly apparently.

A side note, my clock radio died also after power issue. Like before, has always restarted just fine after these interruptions.

Will update you if I find anything else. Am surprised this issue isn't mentioined very much on the web.

tks again

Bill W.
N. Syracuse, NY

Yes, one can get severe power spikes, when not protected with surge protector.
Really hate to say, but sounds like printer is ready to be replaced. Especially since
you lost the clock radio, as well. Please make use of surge protectors, best quality you
can find for your new printer. Wish we could have been more help. Sorry you lost your printer.
Best regards
Florida, USA

Last edited:
Yes, one can get severe power spikes, when not protected with surge protector.
Really hate to say, but sounds like printer is ready to be replaced. Especially since
you lost the clock radio, as well. Please make use of surge protectors, best quality you
can find for your new printer. Wish we could have been more help. Sorry you lost your printer.
Best regards
Florida, USA
One thing, there is an option for an automatic shutoff based on various unused times. I had it set but doesn't work on WiFi connects. Got a new 7220 from Staples (because of store credits). Anyone know how to remove old ink cartridges from broken printer as the ink holder is stuck in far right, cant get to, side of printer and with no power, it won't move to center. tks all

Probably a long shot! One last possibility for defective printer:
Press and hold this button for 8 to 10 seconds:

Canon-IP7250ResetSwitch.jpg

Ask a Question