Can't get my Canon Pixma MP640 wireless printer to work with a Chromebook

I'm new to this forum so first of all hello!

I've just got a new Canon printer (Pixma G650) and given my old one, (Pixma MP640), to my daughter. The MP640 printer was working fine when I took it over to her house a couple of days ago and I was able to print out the device settings page when I got there, so I know it's working OK.

The problem is that my daughters Chromebook is not recognising the Pixma printer. It recognises it when I connect the two devices via USB but tells me it needs installation software. The installation discs I got with my printer are for Windows and Mac only and there is no Canon driver software download for Chrome.

The printer connects wirelessly to my daughters home router just fine and so does her Chromebook. Chrome isn't able to automatically recognise and install whatever driver software it needs for the MP640. I've entered the name and IP address details of the MP640 manually but Chrome is still not recognising the printer.

I've downloaded and installed "WiFi printer driver for Chromebooks" from the chrome web store but this hasn't worked either.

I've also tried (and failed) to get my iPhone to print to the Pixma. I downloaded the Canon "Print inkjet/SELPHY" app to my iPhone 11. It found the MP640 printer OK but when I try to print a document it just takes me to the place where I can buy consumables.

I'm flat out of ideas, so if anyone can help I'd be very grateful.

Thanks - Robert

Ask a Question