Cartridge Expiration Date

With my HP Officejet Pro 8600 , I rarely print using color. I use the standard 951 M/C/Y cartridges and the 950 XL Black cartridge. The 8600 stops printing if ANY of the cartridges run out. I find it curious that, rarely using the color cartridges, they all seem to run out and need replacing concurrently and at about the same time as the black and coinciding with the expiration date on the cartridge, Jan 2021. I replaced the black in December 2020, and this week first the cyan and then the magenta indicated empty, with yellow showing just about. And the expiration date on the color cartridges is 01/2021. So I wonder if this ' expiration " is really a HP Programmed "need to buy and replace", rather than they really being empty. The new 951 color cartridges I installed have an expiration of Sep 2022. I wonder if I will make it to 9/01/22 , rarely using color, and then they will 'go empty. We'll see....

Last edited:
I hope that's not the case as someone just gave me a used 8600, if you've installed the hp software you should be able to monitor the ink levels, also printing a report every so often will help reduce any clogs and reduce the need for frequent cleaning.

Ask a Question