Caution updating firmware on Epson Printers!

Advise consumers that the firmware update (on a new Epson 15000) is made to disable the printer from using non-Epson ink cartridges. Please spread the word - Do not update firmware! Epson advised me that I should have known that they indicate only Epson cartridges should be used (it is apparently spelled out on the packaging) and that non-Epson ink will not function properly! The only reason my printer does not NOW function properly is because of their firmware update...which is set-up to disallow you from using the ink of your choice. There was not advice that this firmware would result in this happening. As well the rep advised that the firmware installation cannot be reversed! I owned an Epson 1430 for years, always using non-Epson compatible ink cartridges with no problems. It was because of my appreciation for the 1430 that I puchased the 15000. Now it is inoperable....until I purchase Epson ink.

Epson is aggressively doing this with all their printers. They offer EcoTank printers at a much higher cost and they don't want you to get the benefit of third party ink without paying them. Unfortunately, their EcoTank printers are also often missing features like borderless printing because they don't want you using them for photos and posters.

The Epson XP-15000 is supported by the chipless firmware provided by Chipless Solutions and others. I flashed one of their chipless firmwares for my Epson WF-7720 and it works quite well. It's probably best to have a computer you have never printed to an Epson with to do the flashing, but for me it was otherwise painless.

Ask a Question