Caution updating firmware on Epson Printers!

Advise consumers that the firmware update (on a new Epson 15000) is made to disable the printer from using non-Epson ink cartridges. Please spread the word - Do not update firmware! Epson advised me that I should have known that they indicate only Epson cartridges should be used (it is apparently spelled out on the packaging) and that non-Epson ink will not function properly! The only reason my printer does not NOW function properly is because of their firmware update...which is set-up to disallow you from using the ink of your choice. There was not advice that this firmware would result in this happening. As well the rep advised that the firmware installation cannot be reversed! I owned an Epson 1430 for years, always using non-Epson compatible ink cartridges with no problems. It was because of my appreciation for the 1430 that I puchased the 15000. Now it is inoperable....until I purchase Epson ink.

Epson is aggressively doing this with all their printers. They offer EcoTank printers at a much higher cost and they don't want you to get the benefit of third party ink without paying them. Unfortunately, their EcoTank printers are also often missing features like borderless printing because they don't want you using them for photos and posters.

The Epson XP-15000 is supported by the chipless firmware provided by Chipless Solutions and others. I flashed one of their chipless firmwares for my Epson WF-7720 and it works quite well. It's probably best to have a computer you have never printed to an Epson with to do the flashing, but for me it was otherwise painless.

If you used the chipless then could you not find and flash a earlier rpson fw that you were happy with ?

I thought all epson printers only worked with epson carts in usa and Canada. Where are you? What carts were you using? 3rd party with auto reset chips or 1 time chips ?

Most chipless firmware only comes in one version.

I used to use third-party auto-reset chips on refillable cartridges on a Canadian WF-7720. I found that the refillable cartridges with auto-reset chips were not really high quality and the reset chips would sometimes not make good connection with the printer's contacts. So in the middle of printing a large poster, it would sometimes stop and tell me a cartridge was malfunctioning. This is why I ended up using the chipless firmware, just to avoid future problems. Now I can use cartridges without any chip at all.

Could you share here or pm , depending on the rules , a good source for low cost chipless cartridges ? I'm looking for surecolor p400 , p700 and xp-15000 . I sure wish I'd purchased eu versions of these printers. None of these headaches. I'm tempted to use AliExp, not sure about quality and returns refunds

Advise consumers that the firmware update (on a new Epson 15000) is made to disable the printer from using non-Epson ink cartridges. Please spread the word - Do not update firmware! Epson advised me that I should have known that they indicate only Epson cartridges should be used (it is apparently spelled out on the packaging) and that non-Epson ink will not function properly! The only reason my printer does not NOW function properly is because of their firmware update...which is set-up to disallow you from using the ink of your choice. There was not advice that this firmware would result in this happening. As well the rep advised that the firmware installation cannot be reversed! I owned an Epson 1430 for years, always using non-Epson compatible ink cartridges with no problems. It was because of my appreciation for the 1430 that I puchased the 15000. Now it is inoperable....until I purchase Epson ink.
Is there any way we can avoid getting the update ? Or is this like Apple and Samsung latest phones. Forced upon you , without any choice?

I tend to get all my cartridges from Ali Express these days. I find that 99.9% of all OEM Ink/Cartridge/Accessories dealers are all ordering from the same Chinese manufacturers anyway, and this way I avoid the markup.

P400: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32803357297.html
P700: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003168622939.html
XP15000: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33045118260.html

The P400 cartridges actually have ARC chips on them, but if you don't want the chips you can just rip them off. You'll need chipless firmware on the printers to use them without chips on them.

Is there any way we can avoid getting the update ?
I haven't used any Epson printer newer than an WF-7720 in some time, so I don't know if the newer printers have forced firmware updates. I tend to block all my printers from being able to connect to the internet right at my home's router/firewall anyway, just as a safety measure.

Thank you so much, happy almost canada day eve . I still remember the last time it was on a Saturday! 2005 I think .

Hey guys I found this website via reddit . An inkchip board. The poster says he's had success .
I've not used it . https://orpys.com/en/firmware/169-epson-surecolor-sc-p400-chipless-firmware.html however I do see that they offer firmware .

My only wonderment is , usa and Canada printer compatible or eu Asia compatible ?

Ideally we could find a way to install eu fw on our usa , canada epson printers and be done with this extortion by epson.

Much thanks to you for the preventative update about refreshing firmware on Epson Printers. Firmware refreshes are urgent for upgrading the presentation and security of the printers, however they ought to be drawn closer with care. Prior to continuing with any firmware update, it's vital for check for similarity, read the delivery notes, and adhere to the maker's directions unequivocally.

Ask a Question