Compatible Toner Cartridge "Replace Toner" Error

Purchased a new toner cartridge for my Brother laser printer DCP 1612W. First time I tried a compatible instead of the more expensive Brother cartridge. After multiple attempts to install it the printer won't recognize it and I'm getting "Replace Toner" message.

I've tried putting the new one back in, waiting 10 or more minutes, removing and installing the new toner - no luck. I've tried removing the toner, turning off the printer, unplug it from the wall, let sit for over an hour. Plug back in, install new toner, power on. Still same message. Have repeated this sequence many times alternating between the old toner and then the new toner, so luck.

I can't update the firmware because the printer won't print and Brother's site says that the update will fail if it won't print.

Anyone have any other suggestions please. The printer is new and this is the first attempt at replacing the toner.

Thanks for any help.

Have you tried this procedure yet ??

• Open the door and press the Clear/Back key.
  • Press *00.
  • Press OK.
  • Do not choose anything for drum replacement. When the drum replacement menu comes up, press * and then 00, then press OK.

Hope that helps..

Thanks Jason for your reply. This model printer doesn't have a keypad for typing in "00". I contacted the company and they're sending me a replacement in case the one I received was defective. Hoping it works!

I really appreciate your help.

As a follow-up to this thread, I wanted to make known that the replacement cartridge sent to me by the company worked perfectly! Thus, the initial one purchased was defective. So, if you have the same problem with a compatible toner do get in touch with the supplier if all else fails.

Ask a Question