Printer refuses to print even B&W documents, due to a COLOR toner supposedly being "incompatible"???

Product Name: Samsung Xpress C460W

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'll try to be as detailed as possible, please read everything if possible.

I have a Samsung Xpress C460W laser printer. For a few days, the Cyan toner has been running somewhat low on color (down to about 10%). I didn't think much of it, since I don't print much color documents lately.

Then all of a sudden yesterday, without me having done any changes or software/firmware updates whatsoever (neither in Windows or in the printer software / drivers), it suddenly refuses to print anything at all. This is what happens:

* If I try to print something (including black & white documents) the LCD window on the printer will say "Not Compatible Cyan toner" and the printing console thing in Windows will say "Cyan toner cartridge is not compatible. Check user's guide.".

* If I try to use the printers copy function, the LCD window says "Not Available Try Again Later", even when attempting a black & white copy.

* If I take the Cyan toner out entirely (in case there is something wrong with it, and thus it causing the rest of the printer to not work), I get the exact same error messages.

Now regardless what anyone says, I can testify to my life that I have used this very same printer on multiple occasions to print black & white images even if one of the color toners was ENTIRELY empty. I have also printed b&w documents with only the b&w toner present in the printer, without any color toners inserted at all. Heck, I have even made color prints with one color toner being entirely empty or not even inserted, without the printer objecting to proceed with printing - the only downfall being that the missing toner's color was obviously missing from the printed document.

Never before has the printer refused to print *anything* just because one toner has been empty/broken/not inserted, especially not when the document I'm trying to print doesn't even contain any color and thus a missing color toner should be completely irrelevant.

I am aware of a Samsung firmware update that blocks the use of all 3rd party toners, but like I said I have never updated the firmware, it's still the same as when I purchased the printer more than 2 ½ years ago. Furthermore, the toners currently installed are all Samsung originals and not 3rd party.

Unfortunately I'm not able to contact any support team about this. Apparently Samsung has moved all its printer support over to HP, and my local HP site (for my country) does not reveal ANY information like phone numbers, e-mail addresses, chat lines, etc until I complete a form which asks for my printer model, serial number, product number. I am unable to complete this form, because the form refuses my Samsung serial number. It says not a valid serial number. I know I am typing the correct serial number, I even took a photo and blew it up so all letters and numbers are very clear to read.

So I can't contact HP support. When I address the problem to Samsung, they redirect me back to HP and says we take all our responsibilities away from printers, deal with HP.

QUESTIONS:

* What could be causing the problem? Any ideas on how to fix it? Is it a common problem? I spent a lot of money on this printer and especially the toners. The other toners are nearly full!

* If my printer was purchased 2015-Oct-21, would there be any type of manufacturer warranty from Samsung/HP left on it? (the HP site has a feature to check the warranty but it demands the serial number and won't accept mine, also it requires "product number" which is not listed anywhere as it's a Samsung product and not a true HP product which contains product numbers on the back).

Can someone reply please? I can't get hold of HP. I posted this message on their forum too where I addressed that their form doesn't work but they deleted my whole login to their forum!!! F#*%#!!!!

Ask a Question