Dell 1815DN - noise (whirring/whining) from right side vent area at idle - normal?

(my first post to printerforums.net, so please advise if I've posted this incorrectly - thanks!)

I have a Dell 1815DN laser printer/scanner that was originally purchased in 2007, very lightly used in a small office, then stored indoors since about 2010 and just now re-installed. Other than setting the LAN IP address, all of the settings are factory default.

I notice a noise (like a speed-controlled fan spinning) from the right side of the printer (there's an air vent there) for a few minutes after start-up or after printing. The noise stops then when the printer goes into sleep or power-save mode, but re-appears the same way if the printer becomes active again.

The printer is otherwise working normally, not generating any error messages or warnings, and is not demonstrating any other symptoms.

Is this noise normal?

Thank you for any advice,

Dave

Hello - I'm still trying to confirm if this (noise) is an issue or not. Is there a forum or other user community where my query would be appropriate?

Thank you!

Ask a Question