Dirty printing, Brother MFC-9140CDN colour laser

It was working well, but then I had two consistent quality issues with pages printed:
1. small dots of Cyan down the page, but only with colour printing,
2. a generally slightly dirty light grey background to pages printed, neither being very pretty!
[This colour laser printer has 4 toner cartridges, each with a corresponding small drum/roller, paired for each colour C M Y and black. These transfer toner to a wider belt, from which the page is printed. Toner cartridges are relatively cheap to replace, but small drum/rollers and the belt are more expensive.]

So I switched the Cyan and Black small drum/rollers for other used ones (taken from similar printers), until I then achieved one very good quality Test Print page - Happy me! I should have stopped here. However as the toner cartridges were running low in all but one case, I replaced the toner (and possibly also the small drum/roller) with used ones, for each of the 3 low toners. [Sadly I omitted to make detailed notes on what exactly I did - Lazy me!]

I now see the two initial quality issues have returned, with the addition of a third:
3. a 2mm magenta stripe all the way down every printed page's extreme left margin.

I think that what I have found is that often a small drum/roller is contaminated with immoveable dots of solid colour, so that replacing this with another used but cleaner small drum/roller will, if I am lucky, remove these dots. [Dot patterns were sometimes repeated down the page, separated by the same distance as the roller's circumference?] Also that the wider belt was not, at least initially, contaminated. There may be other things going on, which I am not aware of.

I have two possible courses of action I might now take:
a) replace all toners, small drums/rollers, and the belt with the same taken from a similar but slower Brother HL-3140CW colour laser printer - this does not do double sided printing and has one toner cartridge low, and/or
b) install some of the 4 refilled toner cartridges which have just arrived.

Comments and advice please!

Brother printers are excellent printers that suit both budget and printing needs. Your search for superb Brother printers for your business will come to an end as soon as you read the list given below. The Brother printers on this list are ideal for your business. These Brother printers give decent printing results and perform the printing tasks faster. We have made every possible effort so that you can choose the perfect printer for your needs. Read the list of the best Brother printers and pick the best one for your needs.
Contact us for more info

That's not much help! I am trying to save landfill by maintaining old equipment. I have taken my action a), to strip out the Brother HL-3140CW parts listed. The MFC-9140CDN now works as if new, and by using other parts from a faulty old HL-3150CDW the HL-3140CW seems to be working well. Long may this continue! None of these printers is used heavily, so I may be lucky.

How frustrating is it when one or multiple pages get stuck inside the printer? You almost have to disassemble its parts to clear the jammed paper. The printer may become damaged if you try to print the documents while the paper is still lodged within. So, it is strongly advised to unclog the paper stuck in the printer first. In this case, you may even notice an error warning on the printer's screen. If you have encountered a Brother printer paper jam error and looking for directions to fix it, then keep reading this blog. It will direct you on how to fix it successfully.

- If the dots are random on the page, check for slow toner inside the machine and around the drum area. A toner cartridge that is leaking inside the machine will need to be replaced. Do not remove the toner cartridge from the Brother machine until you are ready to replace it.

Brother printers are excellent printers that suit both budget and printing needs. Your search for superb Brother printers for your business will come to an end as soon as you read the list given below. The Brother printers on this list are ideal for your business. These Brother printers give decent printing results and perform the printing tasks faster. We have made every possible effort so that you can choose the perfect printer for your needs. Read the list of the best Brother printers and pick the best one for your needs.

Ask a Question