Disable epson M1170 paper sensor

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is an advanced software setting or any other way to otherwise disable the paper sensor or fool the printer into thinking it has paper? I need to print a specialty silver ink over a black background. Unfortunately whenever I try to print over a dark background this M1170 does not print or stops printing when it reaches that point of black area on the page. I believe the printer uses a light based sensor to detect if it has good active paper below the printhead. IF NOT, then the printer simply turns off the printhead function and moves along.

I know this is an unusual request, but maybe someone has some experience. I have had to clean and even replace a similar optical sensor on my L1800 and so I am familiar with this system on EPson. Unfoirtunately the M1170 is a fairly simple B&W printer and the clearance below the printhead and other components is so little that it is nearly impossible to even look underneath. I tried shining a bright light underneath. I tried enabling duplex mode. I tried moving the dark image around on the page. No luck so far. I called Epson and explained that I am printing duplex on semi transparent media and that the dark image on onbe side was trigerring the system when I try to print the other side. Answer: "no way to do it. Use thicker opaque paper."

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Mike

Ask a Question