Does Service Tool Resetter for the Canon Affect the Cartridges or the Printer Itself?

Hello printer gurus. We converted our MP280 to CISS (both colored and black cartridges are original, holes were drilled for the CISS conversion) and used a 3rd party tool called Canon Service Tool Resetter (version : V1074) but decided to stop using it as a CISS and instead just buy a regular original cartridge, even if it's just the black (model: 210). The original colored cartridge currently has plugs on the holes.

We bought an original, new, unmodified black cartridge for it (model: 210) but the error display on the printer says it can't identify the Fine Cartridge. Would buying the other new, genuine, unmodified, colored cartridge (cartridges are very hard to find for the MP280 usuable but old) fix this? Or do I need to somehow undo what the resetter app did?

Did the resetter change the cartridges or the printer itself? Any up to undo what Canon Resetter app did so it's the original Canon MP280 again?

Thank you. God bless you, Rev. 21:4

Could a Service Tool that can be downloaded over the internet reset EEPROM of the printer to it's original factory so I can use cartridges again (genuine Canon). If yes, which version of the Service tool is for the MP280 and which buttons there do I press?

Thank you.

Software you're running from your computer that's hooked up to the printer will modify the printer. Not the cartridges. Those typically have to be reset with hardware like a chip resetter button or a resetter you phsyically slide the chip down onto. I don't believe you need to do any of this to get your cartridges working again. Research downgrading your firmware for it if you're having trouble with third-party cartridges.

Software you're running from your computer that's hooked up to the printer will modify the printer. Not the cartridges. Those typically have to be reset with hardware like a chip resetter button or a resetter you phsyically slide the chip down onto. I don't believe you need to do any of this to get your cartridges working again. Research downgrading your firmware for it if you're having trouble with third-party cartridges.
Hi, thanks, the new cartridges are genuine but when converted the Canon to CISS so it works with continuous ink, I had to use the Canon Service Tool Resetter, the version of which I can't remember anymore.

I think what the resetter tool did was make the printer think it's another model, a model that's made for continuous ink because it sees the genuine cartridges as another cartridge for another Canon model, I'm thinking that model is a continuous ink model.

Is there a manual or could you point to a link wherein they explain the Canon Service Tool Resetter in it's full details?

I wish I could remember what version of the resetter I used and what site I watched when I did the CISS conversion. With the two old genuine Canon cartridges after the resetter was done, it the lights (see video attachment) would flash which is normal for CISS but I think you have to reset it back again to the regular non-CISS cartridge so it's back to normal.

God bless.

Last edited:

Ask a Question