Epson 1430 end-of-life message. Options?

My long used but not heavily used artisan 1430 has stopped working with an end-of-life message and a recommendation from epson to either have it serviced or buy a brand new printer.

I have had this printer for maybe a decade, using it moderately frequently, with good results, and have a lot of investment in supplies, CIS, cartridges, etc... New ones cost @ $1000, refurbished @$700. I will check the costs of servicing.

The printer was working just fine. I don't trust Epson for one minute to do anything other than want to sell me overpriced propietary cartridges, ink, or sell me a printer every three years if they can get away with it.

Has anyone dealt with this problem? Epson says I already used my once only extra-time option and cannot do that again.....and suggests my life is at risk if I continue using the printer without at least servicing. I suspect hyperbole to sell new printers. The list of possible options from software workarounds or disabling the Epson shutdown, getting the maintenance, or getting a new printer that is generic cartridge compatible, etc.. I have been out of the printer market for awhile and don't know what the current comparables are. I do NOT want to get back into the "Epson-only" cartridge/ink world.

Anyone have information or suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance.
Peter Patricelli

More information. I called an Epson approved service center and got a quote for $160 for "refurbisment" which includes replacing the ink pads (the presumed source of the danger to life and surroundings) and should re-activate the printer. Clearly that is my best option. Now, if they find multiple other reasons to run up the cost, then that might not turn out to be the best choice. If the outcome is other than reasonable, I will report back.

Full disclosure, I have a vested interest in the suggestion I'm about to make so pinch of salt required.

But in generic sense you can also fit an external waste ink tank, be it home made or a commercial solution. Resetting is possible using the WICReset tool but this does require a key (basically a credit).

Hope that's of help.

Ask a Question