Epson 9600 keeps clogging magenta color

I've got a 10 year old Epson 9600 that's been working great. The past few days I've been trying to print a 40x50 canvas of a family around a wooden grand piano. The first print had the wood of the piano mostly correct (brown), then the last few inches of its edge printed out greenish colored. I ran a nozzle check and found the magenta looking partially clogged, so I ended up running 3 print head cleanings until the magenta printed perfectly on the nozzle check. I then printed about a 10 inch wide cropped section of the canvas that included the piano and it came out great. Then I printed the whole 40x50 canvas again and the whole piano area (it's just about dead center of the print in a 1 foot square area) came out greenish again. I ran another nozzle check and this time my magenta area was completely missing from the nozzle check print.

The magenta cartridge could be 1 to 2 years old, so I've ordered a new cartridge to try, hoping it might be bad/clogging.

From what I've described, does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not the new cartridge might fix things, or does it sound like my print head might be dying?

Thanks,
Grey

Ask a Question