Epson printing larger than specified in Lightroom or Photoshop

I have long been puzzled by the fact that my Epson Stylus Pro 3800 always prints a little larger than expected, thus cutting off a proportion of the image when using the borderless settings. Is there a way to ensure that it will print exactly what is specified in Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop?

I have attached screen shots to explain my problem in more detail. A sample image in the Print module of Lightroom shows what I was wanting to achieve, but the Epson print preview shows a noticeably larger image (which is what I get when the print is made). I can't see anything wrong in my printer properties to explain this discrepancy.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Printer properties.png
    Printer properties.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Printer properties 2.png
    Printer properties 2.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Print preview.png
    Print preview.png
    587.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Lightroom.png
    Lightroom.png
    555.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I also posted this question on the DPReview forum, where I have just received the following answer.

"When you print borderless, the image is stretched somewhat; and you can reduce that by setting to the minimum the Expansion control...... If you print in bordered mode (i.e., uncheck Borderless), then the prints should be quite precise."

I had simply assumed that borderless printing was a simple on/off control and had never really noticed the Expansion button. I also assumed that the setting would have no effect when I was aiming to print in this case with white margins.

I also posted this question on the DPReview forum, where I have just received the following answer.

"When you print borderless, the image is stretched somewhat; and you can reduce that by setting to the minimum the Expansion control...... If you print in bordered mode (i.e., uncheck Borderless), then the prints should be quite precise."

I had simply assumed that borderless printing was a simple on/off control and had never really noticed the Expansion button. I also assumed that the setting would have no effect when I was aiming to print in this case with white margins.

If your Epson printer is consistently printing larger than the specified size in Lightroom or Photoshop, there are a few things you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Check your printer settings: Make sure that your printer settings are set to the correct paper size and print quality. Some printer software may have default settings that need to be adjusted.
  2. Calibrate your printer: Calibrating your printer can help ensure that it's producing colors and sizes accurately. You can find calibration guides online for your specific printer model.
  3. Check your image resolution: Make sure that your image resolution is high enough for the print size you want. A low-resolution image can result in a blurry or pixelated print, and resizing it in software can cause it to print larger than intended.
  4. Check your cropping and aspect ratio: Make sure that your image isn't being cropped or stretched in a way that would cause it to printing press larger than intended. Check the aspect ratio to ensure that it matches the paper size you're printing on.
If none of these solutions work, you may want to consider contacting Epson support for further assistance.

Hi ali21,
I am rather puzzled. All you did was to copy my previous post. You added no further comment or question!

Ask a Question