Epson Stylus Photo 1270 recognized but not printing

I have a Epson Stylus Photo 1270 printer hooked up to my Windows 8.1 HP Pavilion 500 Series PC. I connected all of the cables properly (basically just the power and USB) and the disk installed the drivers with no fuss. When I went into Control Panel and checked my devices, sure enough the Printer showed up as a usable device. However, when I tried to do a test print (using software similar to the Microsoft Office Series called "Open Office"), I had no luck. All I got was "Error. Could not print" or something like that, with no additional details. I do notice that the red light on the printer underneath the "Color" symbol is on, possibly indicating that I'm low on Color ink. So I simply tried to print the test document as a Black and White document, still to no avail. Is the fact that there is an issue with the color ink (even though I'm not printing in color) what's causing this to happen?

Check to see if printer is Default printer,
Control Panel -> Devices & Printers -> Epson 1270 Icon should be Green in color with Check Mark
That denotes Default Printer

If not do this:
Right Click Icon -> Select Make Default

Try printing from WORD Pad or Note Pad
Replace Color Cartridge even though you are attempting Black & White Print

I've done everything, except replace the Color Cartridge and tried to print from Notepad, and got "Printer is in Error Status". How do I find out the details of the error? It might be a few days before I can replace the cartridge just yet. I thought it would print anyway, but just a faded print, if the toner/ink was low.

Ask a Question