Epson XP-830 not recognizing 3rd party ink cartridges

I have been using an Epson XP-830 printer for a few years and I have been using 3rd party ink cartridges without any problem. When I replaced a cartridge today, it said it wasn't recognized. Has Epson updated the firmware so that you have to buy Epson ink? I hope not, as their ink is much more expensive.

I'm not sure if they did, but I do have the same problem and suspect malicious intent by Epson.
I replaced a cartridge with a 3rd party cartridge, it worked for 3 days (= 2 pages tekst), and then, when I checked the ink levels, it suddenly showed that all 3rd party cartridges were almost empty, while they were all pretty new and hardly used...... weird.

Printing the test patern with the epson driver software it showed missing lines etc.... of all 3rd party ...while it used to work flawlessly before.

I also can't check the number of printed pages.

If Epson wants to convince users to use their own expesive ink-cartridges they could easily manipulate print results when they detect 3rd party cartridges.

My printer is the XP-960

Last edited:
My XP-830 is working o.k. now with 3rd party cartridges. It was just a minor hiccup. I will not let then update the firmware though, because I am afraid they will install something that prevents the use of 3rd party cartridges.

Ask a Question