Fixing xerox phaser 6500

Hello all,

I have been trying to find assistance on a couple different forums. I have posted to reddit and the Xerox support forums. So far, there hasn't been anyone available.

I had this issue with the black toner where the blacks would have a sort of diagonal streaking pattern when printed. After trying a few things, I thought that there might be some sort of contamination issue. SO, I dissembled the printer and removed the housing for the transfer drum and cleaned out the housing. When I placed it back in, there was no black being printed. After doing some toner refreshes, IU refreshes) the black was able to come out but now it is smeared on the paper and it it very light. All of the other colors are ok. I disassembled the unit and I noticed that the toner for the black is not sicking to the transfer drum unlike the other colors. It is not spiky but rather clumps to the transfer drum. After some online research, I came to the conclusion that it is either the IU or the HVPS. In order to eliminate one of the two options, I disassembled the pritner again but this time, removed the HVPS. I soldered two wires onto the board. One on the high voltage for the black and another on the high voltage for a working color.

When I put everything back on, I start up the printer. Now, I am getting an error 116-364 on startup. Again, doing some research online, I need to either replace the MCU board, the IP board, or remove the internal battery (I don't think that there are any jobs corrupting the printer since I do not have it plugged into any computer but hey, you never know)

I am at a pointer where I really could use some help and some guidance repairing the printer. Or at least coming to the pointer where I need to simply buy some new hardware.

What could be some solutions on fixing the error code? Any thoughts on what is wrong?

Also, what could be wrong with the black toner? Would I really need to replace the IU?

Hello all,

I am not getting any replies. Is there anything that I can do to improve my post?

As a side note, I was able to fix the 116-364 error that I was getting. Turns out, I didn't need to replace the IP board.

All I did was reset all of the values in the NVM in the diagnostic tool for the printer. This solved that issue. Now I am back to the original issue where the black toner is not being properly placed onto the paper. From what I can tell, the black toner is still being clumped up in the transfer drum and is not being properly transferred to the imaging drum.

I have done Toner refresh, IU Refresh, and the clean developer. I decided to place some leads from the HVPS board, one wire attached to the HV output of the black toner and the other to a known working toner drum. Comparing between the voltages during a printer, I verified that the HV is correct going to the black drum. I also did a continuity check between the drum and the output of the HV end. And there was continuity.

So far, my only option is to buy a new IU. Please, if there is anyone that can help me, I would appreciate it if you could reply to this thread.

Phil, Did you ever get an answer on this, I am having the same issue. From what I've read we need to clean everything out and then apply a rubber roller refresher to get them tacky again. hopefully, that will fix mine, I bought it 2nd hand. thanks

Ask a Question