General Question About Laser Printers

I need help from someone who is a lot more techy than I.

My plan had been to replace my inkjet printer with fouled print heads with an AIO laser color printer. I was planning on spending enough for one (under $400) that I could also use it to print a genealogy book that I am creating for my four kids. The book would be under 200 pages and include some B/W photos. Also, with my wife being rather crafty, I would like to be able to print/copy some color photos/drawings that she uses in doing her crafting stuff.

Anyway, my research seems to be telling me that laser printers do not do color photos well. With that, I am rethinking my color laser printer selection.

I am now thinking that I really don't need to fax anymore but would like to print/scan/copy ..... And that black/white would be fine since most of genealogy photos are B/W anyway. So, my question is, do laser printers provide grayscale that I could then reproduce B/W photos adequately? And if so, do I need to look for something specific about a laser printer to insure that if can reproduce grayscale.

Of course, on the other hand ..... have I researched this "color" issue too much and as long as I use the correct paper with the laser color printer I will get acceptable reproductions. I mean these are just family photos, I am not entering a photographic contest.

Any help with this would most certainly be appreciated.

Jim
Leesburg, GA

PS. This genealogy book will not be a "coffee table" book ... but more likely in a 3-ring binder. I may turn it in to an eBook eventually, but family trees don't lend themselves as well to electronic copies that well.

Ask a Question