Generic Toner Cartridges, Are They A Poor Investment?

I'm curious if toner cartridges have similar dangers that ink cartridges do. Is toner completely safe due to a "can't really get it wrong" technology/design or are there similar variables with toner that you find with ink based systems (example: ink type, non/pressurized cartridges, horrible quality or even non-printer ink, auto-reset/recognition chips, etc...). A new official high-yield toner cartridge is going to set me back $220 while a generic one will cost me $107. However, if there is significant risk to my printer itself, as was the case with my HP 7680, I don't think its worth taking the chance. Any suggestions, thoughts, advice, etc... would be most appreciated.

Printer Model: Konica Minolta PagePro 5650EN
kmbs.konicaminolta.us/content/products/models/pagepro5650.html

Toner Cartridge: Konica Minolta Black High Capacity Toner (Part #: A0FP012)
superwarehouse.com/Konica_Minolta_Black_High_Capacity_Toner/A0FP012/p/1506414

Generic Equivalent:Compatible Konica Minolta A0FP012 Black Laser Toner Cartridge
4inkjets.com/Compatible%2CKonica-Minolta%2CA0FP012%2CBlack%2CLaser-Toner%2C3450%2Cproduct.html?XID=pgdf

My Previous Mistake Cost Me $800+
Just some quick background; I previously bought an HP 7680 All-In-One Printer and used a CISS. It turns out that the retail/official HP88 ink cartridges are pressurized so my CISS essentially ruined my printer. Sadly I didn't learn about the pressurized cartridges until wasting more money. I had assumed it was either the CISS, type of ink, or HP 7680 that was faulty. So I purchased a second 7680, different brand CISS, and different type of ink (first was dye based, second was pigment based). After this fiasco I left ink behind and went with a laser jet and toner.

Does anybody know where I might go to find out more about this subject? I can find plenty on ink but nothing really about toner. Any links or feedback would be most appreciated.

Generic cartridges essentially work by being compatible with a brand name company’s printer. For instance, if you have a Canon printer, generic ink specifically designed for certain Canon models will work fine in your unit. The same goes if you have an Epson or a Hewlett Packard. Regardless of your printer brand, there is more likely than not a generic printer ink cartridge out there that will work in your printer.

The real bonus of using generic ink jet cartridges is the fact that they are so much cheaper than the name brands. And I can’t emphasize this enough: you are not sacrificing quality here. This generic printer ink will be fully functional in your name brand printer. No one will be able to tell the difference except for your wallet!

I don't really think they are a poor investment. I suppose it depends on the manufacturer, some will be better quality some will be worse. But i suppose you are getting what you payed for with this type of cartridge.

We sell a ton of compatible toner cartridges and while there are a few issues (I mean the stuff comes from China so it's to be expected), for the amount we sell there really aren't many problems. Compatible toner cartridges are a better investment in my opinion.

There is a difference between compatible and remanufactured cartridges. Compatible cartridges are more likely to have problems as they are more prone to being a bad fit due to the manufacturing process.

Remanufactured cartridges are original cartridges which are recycled and refilled, certified and resold. These will have a perfect fit in your printer because the cartridge itself was an original.

There is nothing wrong with non genuine inks and toners in principle. However there are plenty of people selling non genuine products that are not good and will produce ppor results and may even damage your printer. The questions to ask before you buy non original is:
1. Is the cartridge manufactured to ISO standards?
2. Is the cartrdige guaranteed?
3. If the cartridge damages my printer is that damage covered by the cartrdige warranty?
If yes go for it! If not stay away!!!!!

Generic toner is the best thing since sliced bread

I can't speak for generic ink but I can say without hesitation that you are a fool if you use name brand toner. I went from paying $150 each for an HP 15x to $30 for the generic. I calculated my savings last year at around $5300. Oh, I forgot to mention that it appears we are getting better life out of the cartridges as well. Of that I can't be sure but it appears so. The whole thing makes me want to start writing HP to ask them why they are gouging us so bad. And even if it did eventually cause issues with the printer I only need to get 3 cartridges worth of printing to break even on the cost of the printer. The site I use is printronic.com. Their prices are incredible, shipping is free, and I always receive the toner within 2 days. There are many other sites like theirs so shop around. Good luck and enjoy the savings!

My dad does it, it works fairly well.

Its a little time consuming and its not as reliable as the store bought cartridges.

Sometimes they clog up or don't work well. For the most part they're ok.

-----------------------------------------

Here's something that should be able to answer your question: an article discussing the differences between toner and ink. - ehow.com/about_4739768_toner-vs-ink.html

Ask a Question