Help with old MFC-J1205W setup

Hi! new here so hopefully someone can help. I have received a recently new Brother MFC-J1205W printer. I can print the network configuration page to see what its settings are. However, I've found no way to be able to reconfigure it. I first tried the BRAdmin program on Window via a direct USB cable. But that program cannot locate the printer via USB. I can print to the printer using that cable just fine. I was able to print the network IP value including its wireless SSID and I know the passphrase. However, when I attempt to connect to that IP on a private network of the same sub-net it does not respond. I've tried resetting the WiFi according to the manual. Nothing happening. I'm completely at a loss with this.
I'm hoping that someone with some experience with this particular printer can provide some notes, thoughts or point me to sufficient documentation (because the Brother manual does not do a good job of explaining). Also, having used Brother printers extensively in the past I'm frustrated by how limited this model's configuration access is.
So, if anyone can provide some guidance I will be gratefully appreciating.
Thanks - bobmct

I looked at that specific model printer and hate to say it but these cheap ones are priced that way for a reason. They're made to look attractive (and beyond minimal in your case). But they get you on ink and they're also not made very well. Since Wifi printing technology has come out, it's been a constant struggle to have printers print wirelessly without issues.

I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but sticking with a USB cable will fix your problem. We actually include stickers on our HP printers now that cover this topic as their older OfficeJet series are now unable to connect to newer issued modem/router combos from your ISP.

Thanks for sharing your comments. However, with much trouble and having to use the printer's MAC address to access and force an IP change I was actually able to make it happen. Following that I was then able to access the printer's web maintenance pages and complete the setup. However, the amount if hours spent on this one issue was something I wouldn't want to encounter again.
Thanks again.

Ask a Question