How can I print to a wireless printer from my desktop without WIFI?

Hi Everyone,

Just found this forum via Google and decided to post my question so hoping someone can help me out.

I am in the market to purchase an All-in-One printer with wireless capability.

What I would most likely be doing is sending stuff to the printer from my desktop console computer which I built.

However, my computer has no wireless peripheral that makes it WIFI compatible. Or at least that's what I think.

My console is hooked up to a combination modem/router. I have an Ethernet cable going from the back of my computer into my modem. There is also the main internet cable going into the modem. I am able to access my network using WIFI from my I-pad tablet.

As the title line suggests, what I would really need to do is to be able to send printouts from my desktop computer to the printer using wireless technology. I don't really feel like hooking up the printer directly into my console.

So is there a way to do that? Do I need to buy an extra peripheral? Can I do that with my existing set-up?

Any help or guidance would surely be appreciated.

Thanks.

Since you can access your network with I-Pad, then the same applies to a wireless printer.
All you need is your Network SSID address and passphrase (password). Printer instructions
will allow you to program printer to access your existing network via WIFI radio signal (not wired).

Here are videos that may help:

https://www.printerforums.net/threads/epson-wifi-setup-videos.65680/

You dont indicate your OS or which printer you are considering

Thanks Ruffin. I am running Windows 10 64-Bit home version.

Yes, I am sure that whatever wireless capable printer I buy would be able to find my network.

I'm just not sure if I can print from my desktop to the printer with my current set-up.

I'll take a look at your linked video to see if there is something there that helps.

Thanks.

Yes, you will be able to print from your home-built computer to the new WIFI connected printer.

That is correct. Your desktop computer is already connected to your router via ethernet cable.
So you do not need a WIFI dongle on your computer.
Regards

That is correct. Your desktop computer is already connected to your router via ethernet cable.
So you do not need a WIFI dongle on your computer.
Regards

Perfect...that saves me a few bucks. Hopefully, the printer I buy will have a smooth installation process and the printer will show up on my desktop console afterwards.

I'll take a look at the other forum threads to see which one I should get. Don't need anything fancy. Just print, copy, and scan. I can do without the fax. I heard from a quality standpoint that the following order is recommended. HP, then Epson, then Canon.

Ruffin, thanks again for the assistance.

Your printer will show in Devices & Printers as network printer icon
Icon will have green check Indicating it is default printer.

Control Panel -> Devices & Printers -> See Printer Icons Here

You should have no problems.
Let us know how it works out for you.
Regards

Your printer will show in Devices & Printers as network printer icon
Icon will have green check Indicating it is default printer.

Control Panel -> Devices & Printers -> See Printer Icons Here

You should have no problems.
Let us know how it works out for you.
Regards

Thanks. I will keep everyone informed regarding my decision and what happens afterwards.

Ask a Question