How to clean black print head nozzles only

I have an Epson WF-7525 printer. It has four cartridges (black, yellow, cyan, magenta). It has a nozzle cleaning utility, which cleans all the nozzles, and uses a lot of ink. At present the black nozzles are mostly blocked, but the colour nozzles are fine. Surely there should be a way to clean just the black nozzles, to avoid using a lot of colour ink? This would surely just be a minor tweak to the nozzle cleaning utility? Obviously Epson doesn't want to do this, since they make most of their money by selling ink cartridges, so using up lots of ink pointlessly is great for them. Does anyone know the commands that the driver sends to the printer to clean the heads? Or know how the nozzle cleaning utility works? Or is there another way to achieve the same? What would happen if I removed the colour cartridges, cleaned the nozzles then replaced the cartridges? I bet the utiltiy would not work with some of the cartridges missing...

Thank you - Rowan

I have an Epson WF-7525 printer. It has four cartridges (black, yellow, cyan, magenta). It has a nozzle cleaning utility, which cleans all the nozzles, and uses a lot of ink. At present the black nozzles are mostly blocked, but the colour nozzles are fine. Surely there should be a way to clean just the black nozzles, to avoid using a lot of colour ink? This would surely just be a minor tweak to the nozzle cleaning utility? Obviously Epson doesn't want to do this, since they make most of their money by selling ink cartridges, so using up lots of ink pointlessly is great for them. Does anyone know the commands that the driver sends to the printer to clean the heads? Or know how the nozzle cleaning utility works? Or is there another way to achieve the same? What would happen if I removed the colour cartridges, cleaned the nozzles then replaced the cartridges? I bet the utiltiy would not work with some of the cartridges missing...

Thank you - Rowan

I notice that there is now a "Black Only" option on the nozzle check utility. It must have been updated. But the same question apllies if it's a colour that's blocked (i.e. how do I clean the cyan nozzles only)

Ask a Question