HP LaserJet M401dn: Reset password!

Hi all,

I've got a huge problem with our HP LaserJet 400 M401dn: I have to change it's IP address via USB, but I cannot connect to any interface, be it the Toolbox or the touch panel, because I don't have the required password. I even don't know who set it, or if it is the standard password, if there is any. The HP support forum let me down and a "high graded member" said s/he wouldn't offer any help. I also didn't get any other replies there.

There always is an option to reset a device to factory settings ... be it BIOS, smartphone, router or TV. There also must be one for HP printers, but for this model, HP only gives the option to do this via touch panel and this requires the password (wtf ...)

Please, does anybody know a solution for this?

Thanks is advance!

Ian

I did a bit of Googling, as each HP printer seems to be reset in a different way. If you can't use the touch panel or access the web interface, this is what one user did to get it working:

"Hold the X and the right arrow till you see permanent storage int then release and wait till you see ready."

I don't have this printer, so I can't confirm, but if you are locked out and are happy to do a hard reset and lose any printer settings then it is worth a shot. Perhaps someone else here will know a little more :).

Hi Ian,

Thank you very much for your answer! Unfortunately, there are no buttons like an X or arrows. For reference, I'll attach two pictures of the printer :)

Printer_01.jpg Printer_02.jpg

<edit> When I turned it on, there were a few buttons visible on the touch screen for half a second. I made a video, then a screenshot of how it looked like:

Screenshot_2014-11-04-09-50-18.png

I also tried this hint, but it didn't help either: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printe...t-HP-LaserJet-Pro-400-MFP-M425dn/td-p/3105277

Then, I tried what had been recommended in the HP Forum, but holding the X-button didn't do anything at all. (neither did holding X and right arrow) I even tried this with a colleague so that pushing buttons and turning on the printer happened at the same time ...

Last edited:

Ian

Thanks for the pics Momro, I'm all out of ideas unfortunately, but hopefully someone else will be more familiar with this model :). I've got my fingers crossed!

Ask a Question