HP LJ1200 - almost white prints despite new cartridge

Discussion in 'Printer Repair' started by harmandy, Jul 28, 2019.

1. harmandy

harmandy

During the latest years my (rare) home prints had become gradually "light" and I assumed that this depended on the toner cartridge, which actually was very old (2008). So I didn't bother and planned to wait for the toner to run out completely.
    Two weeks ago, when ordering a toner cartridge for another printer we have, I decided to order also an original 15X cartridge for the HP1200.
    When it arrived I immediately installed it and, as a quick test, I printed a couple of pages which looked OK. Days later, when I tried to print a 20 page document, I had the following surprise:
    starting from the third/fourth page the prints became gradually... lighter and within another ten pages they were almost illegible.
    The printer behave regularly, with no signs of errors or malfunctions.
    From then onwards I was never able to obtain a readable print again. If I launch the self test print I get always (with no worsening) a very faint heading while all the rest is barely perceivable.

The new cartridge was a sealed genuine HP. I had to remove the toner safety stripe by breaking the side little plastic lever.
    Sadly I can't plug in the old cartridge any more because I returned it for recycling.

It really seems to me very unlikely that a new and original cartridge could be empty (!), so I don't like the idea of buying another one just to test. I also dislike, however, to dump the printer altogether.
    I think I have some "fixing" skills and so I'd like trying some further investigation, if only to understand what is the cause of this unexpected problem.
    Any suggestions?

harmandy, Jul 28, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question