HP OfficeJet 8600 print head error

I recently began receiving various errors related toprint head and ink issues. I am using refilled HP ink cartridges, and in the past they have worked A-OK. Now they don't and I'm assuming it may be related to a firmware upgrade. I have tried reverting to a previous firmware version, but have not been successful. Any advice is appreciated. The printer is a HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 premium, and I am running Windows 10 Professional.
Thanks.

Use only HP brand ink & cartridges. You will be glad you did. Nothing to do with firmware upgrade..

ruffin, I appreciate your reply and opinion, but I have been using refilled HP ink cartridges OK until now. That is why the question. This "printhead missing or installed incorrectly" error appears to be a common problem with the OJ8600, and occurs with original HP ink cartridges as well. I would still like to know how to revert the firmware.

Any firmware upgrade is now part of printer.

Try this:
HP OfficeJet Pro 8600
Printer Control Panel
Click Right Arrow -> Click Setup -> Select Preferences -> Select Chip Info -> Click OK To Disable Usage info
Turn Printer Power Off -> Unplug Power Cord Form Wall Outlet
Re-boot computer
Restore Printer Power

Advise

Access 8600 Toolbox
Under HP Cartridge Protection Tab
Select Disable Cartridge Protection
Turn off printer and unplug 5 minutes
Restore Printer Power

Advise

Thanks for the suggestion. I did this process early on in my efforts, however, I did not reboot my computer as part of the process. Unfortunately now, I cannot get the printer to power up to the point that I can access Setup. It hangs with the Print Cartridge error message, and my only option is to power down and back up. When it comes back up, I get the same error message.

Thanks again, ruffin.....I appreciate the links you referenced. I have previously tried them all, and while a couple of them show hope, they are in Portugese and I cannot follow the process. The others all address the 8610-8640 series printers and there is nothing addressing the 8600 Pro with regard to reverting the firmware. I tried cleaning the printhead unit, but still get the same resulting Ink System Failure error. As much as I detest giving up, it appears I have reached the end of the road. Thanks again.

Yep, I noticed the foreign language videos, but still found a few in English. Sorry we could not help
you more. The 8000 series printers, though not specific to your 8600 model, should be similar
in function & operation. You might contact HP, just to see what info they might offer up.
Wish you luck with it.

Thanks again for your help. My experience with HP out of warranty issues has not been positive, but this may be worth another try, as you suggest. If I learn anything of value, I will post back.

Ask a Question