Ink absorber pad full message

I'm in the market for a new printer. My printer died a few days ago. I ran the printhead cleaning routine 3 times with no luck.

I've spent hours on YouTube & Google researching inkjet versus laser & the printers from the different manufacturers.

Nowdays it costs more to repair a printer than to buy a new one! In other words, one buys a disposable printer. Speaking of which, the Canon website doesn't list authorized service centers. They have Instant Exchange. It is cheaper to exchange a printer under warranty than to repair it. But what does one do with a Canon printer that is out of warranty- toss it in the nearest landfill?

I'm intrigued by the fact that Canon includes printheads with their printers. It's a lot easier to clean a removable printhead than a permanently mounted printhead.

Anyway...
I'm considering either the Pixma G5020 or the G6020 or the G7020. Do you know how long it takes to fill the ink absorber pad on the G5020, G6020, G7020? According to the Canon website, when the "ink absorber pad is full" message appears, one contacts Canon. According to the website, the pad is not user-replaceable.

But the ink absorber pad STILL has ink in it! What point is there in resetting the counter when there is still ink in the pad?
actually the ink absorber pad is not full, only the counter states that it is full
after you reset the counter, you can still use the printer

Fascinating, as Spock would say!

One keeps reseting the counter. Eventually, the pad IS actually full. When the pad is actually full, won't the excess ink overflow the pad & make a mess inside the printer?

Fascinating, as Spock would say!

One keeps reseting the counter. Eventually, the pad IS actually full. When the pad is actually full, won't the excess ink overflow the pad & make a mess inside the printer?
Yes, but during the first and second reset, you don't need to replace the ink pad absorber, after that you need to replace/cleaning the pad (not user replaceable)

How does one replace a not user replaceable cleaning pad?

Yes, but during the first and second reset, you don't need to replace the ink pad absorber, after that you need to replace/cleaning the pad (not user replaceable)

How does one replace a not user replaceable cleaning pad?

Easy... Bring your printer to the printer technician or service center ;)

I have an older Canon MP495 and just replaced both ink cartridges with brand new cartridges. Now I am receiving the error message 'ink absorber full' for the first time. How do I reset the absorber counter please? It must be a big secret because I can't find the answer anywhere! I have several projects I could print out to use up the ink.

Please help!

Last edited:
I'm intrigued by the fact that Canon includes printheads with their printers. It's a lot easier to clean a removable printhead than a permanently mounted printhead.
It's actually extremely easy to remove. Just pull the ink tanks out, then lift up the gray lever and lift the print head out. Just as easy as removing cartridges, and it doesn't need to be replaced every time.

Regards the waste ink pads and resetting, there's a user on Printerknowledge.com that keeps an eye on this stuff called PeterBJ, particularly with regards to the resetting procedure. It's way too much to summarise here but recommend you look up the stuff over there using keywords "canon service reset" and read up properly. There's a lot of gotchas in the wings to be wary of.

Can't believe no valid answer given. Just post how to reset the 6020 steps. Debating whether to buy this printer

It should be in the service menu accessible from the front panel via the power & resume (or similar) buttons.

At least two new Canon MegaTank models have a user replaceable waste ink pad module. G1220 is one of them.

Hi,
Respects the waste ink cushions and resetting, there's a client on Printerknowledge.com that watches out for this stuff called PeterBJ, especially concerning the resetting methodology. It's an excessive lot to sum up here yet suggest you look into the stuff around there utilizing catchphrases "standard help reset" and read up appropriately. There's a great deal of got Chas in the wings to be careful about.

New Canon G-series printers have separate maintenance box with IC Chip on it - You have to reset this chip by Chip Resetter.
Other models WITHOUT waste ink counters IC CHIP - they can be reset by software - for example WIC Reset Utility or Service Tools from 2manuals.com

New Canon G-series printers have separate maintenance box with IC Chip on it - You have to reset this chip by Chip Resetter.
Other models WITHOUT waste ink counters IC CHIP - they can be reset by software - for example WIC Reset Utility or Service Tools from 2manuals.com
Well, I'm glad that Canon has printers with replaceable maintenance boxes. I thought that Epson was the only one. I wish that ALL printer manufacturers made printers wth user-replaceable maintenance boxes. Nowadays it costs almost as much to repair a printer as it costs to buy a new one. Printers with non-user replaceable maintenance boxes become expensive paperweights.

Ask a Question