[SOLVED] Is it safe to remove unused fax drivers from Windows 8 or 10?

I hate clutter, when I print a document to my Epson WF-3640 or to a .pdf file, the drop down menu on the print screen gives me a lot of locations to print to, too many in my opinion. I have an Epson WF-3640 that is connected to my network. It is a printer, scanner, copier and fax...all in one. I haven't had a telephone line in my office or home in 10 years. I haven't sent a fax in 11 or 12 years. I recently upgraded two of my PCs to Windows 10, I still have one laptop that is running Windows 8. When I installed the printer drivers for my new Epson WF-3640, the installation wizard also installed a "Fax" driver and a "Print To Fax" driver. So now I have clutter in my drop down menu. Yes, I'm a bit OCD about these things, but there are other reasons for wanting these options gone also. It confuses my computer illiterate wife and she ends up calling me wanting to know which one to choose every time she needs to print something. I have a son who never looks before he leaps and always prints to the wrong driver and has to print it all over again.

Currently my menu looks like this;

ABS PDF Driver400
EPSON WF-3640 Series (FAX)
EPSON55737C (WF-3640 Series)
Fax
Microsoft Print to PDF
Microsoft XPS Document Writer
WF-3640 Series(Network)
-------

I have yet to figure out what "ABS PDF Driver400" does. I have tried printing to it and I just get an error message and the printer does nothing.

The "Epson WF-3640 Series (FAX)" and the "Fax" locations/options are the two I want to remove. My question is, will it hurt anything if I delete or uninstall them from the "Devices and Printers" menu in Windows 8 and 10. I do not want to risk something not working after I do this. Any help, advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

-Oakende Rex

Last edited:
Well, I found out what "ABS PDF Driver v400" is. It's the printer driver for QuickBooks. When you print an invoice, estimate or report to email this driver is what converts it. It only works from within Quick Books.

-Oakende Rex

Ask a Question